Anyone familiar with Whitestone Oaks? (side question about schools vs house)

Asked by Noah Kim, Austin, TX Mon Sep 9, 2013

Wife and I are pretty set in purchasing a home in Cedar Park, but not so sure about Whitestone Oaks primarily due to the school district. For whatever reason, all the elementary schools within the immediate area (specifically CC Mason), are rated considerably less then one would expect from the area. To be fair, they're not "bad" per se, but within context, "average" is seems just as bad as bad (maybe not?). We're looking at new construction in Whitestone Oaks, and are eyeballing a new house that works out to about 98/sq ft. I've done A LOT of research regarding the area, as well as Mason Elementary. Mason itself has been steadily declining the past 3 years (former exemplary school). However, I talked with a TEA rating analyst and he said that CC mason made the 2012-2013 top 25% percentile for most improved school in all of Texas. Basically, it's on an upswing again. To make things more confusing, Running Brushy Creek Middle school is fairly well rated. Thoughts about buying here?

Answers

3
Renee Fox, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 9, 2013
You are correct in your assumption as far as ratings go. However they are beginning to turn things around at CC Mason and that is a positive thing. By the time your home is ready to move into they will have had almost another whole school year to improve their stats. One thing that is positive is the atmosphere in the school. Teachers and Principal are known for being caring and creating a family atmosphere - from one parent to another, this is a huge positive as it encourages children to do their best when in the right environment. If you are planning on staying in this home for a number of years, then considering the middle school is as much important as the elementary and you have a great one in Running Brushy.

Hope that helps and if you need help with your build, I'd love to represent you.
I don't have children in CC Mason but I do have children in 3 other Leander ISD schools and also volunteer in those schools, so have knowledge of. The first rule in Real Estate is Location! If you are having doubts, it's a good idea to listen to them. There are some other great neighborhoods in Cedar Park and Leander where you can build, that have better schools. I have always bought my personal homes with the next buyer in mind and you have a great point there. I'd love to show you some other comparable neighborhoods if you are interested
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013
It sounds like you have first hand knowledge into CC Mason Elementary. Are you a parent of a child there? Honestly, we love the area, the neighborhood, and obviously the house. The ONLY real hurdle is the school. To put some context around this purchase, I don't plan on staying in this house forever... awhile yes, forever no. So I'm a little concerned that the schools won't improve to a level of desirability by buyers in another 4-5 years.
Flag Mon Sep 9, 2013
Michelle Gom…, Agent, Cedar Park, TX
Sun Sep 29, 2013
I have first hand knowledge of Whitestone Oaks, CC Mason and Running Brushy. Are you still interested in finding out more on this neighborhood and these schools? If so, please email me at michelle@gomezsellsaustin.com. I would love to give you the inside scoop. :)
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Sep 11, 2013
Have you read the reviews on GreatSchools.org? There are a lot of good ones but they rate it a 5 out of 10. I know trying to find a home with good schools can be stressful and challenging. While most of the schools in this area have good ratings as the parent of a 4 year old who lives in Cedar Park I also am constanting looking at these same ratings as my child will be entering kindergarten next year.

If you have concerns about the school you may want to at least take a look at the option of buying an existing home that would have a school you may prefer. While inventory is low homes are coming on the market constantly although if priced right they do not last very long at all. If you know of a preferred school that may be an option to look into.

If you have any questions about the area at all please feel free to contact me. I am a realtor and mortgage broker who lives in Cedar Park. Because I work with over 15 different major wholesale lenders I can help you with financing options. Most builders will try to sway you to use their financing by giving you perks to do so. I can give you a very competitive good faith estimate that will either cause the builder to allow you to use your own financing or make them reduce their "in-house" lender's fees to match what I offer. I have done this countless times for my clients and saved them many thousands of dollars not only upfront but with better financing terms that the lenders's magically offer my clients after they see our estimate.

It's a win-win for my clients saving them a lot of money. Best of luck to you and your family. Cedar Park is a wonderful place to call home.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference:  http://www.AustinListed.com