Anyone ever buy a short sale and have this happen????

Asked by Beeinsilly, Levittown, NY Sat Dec 12, 2009

We are closing Monday and I cannot get in touch with my attorney. They emailed me a list of checks we need to bring to the closing and one is $10,000 made payable to US Treasury!! My attorney knew from the get go that we were adament about not paying anyone's back taxes. What could this possibly be for???

Answers

7
Beeinsilly’s answer
Beeinsilly, Home Buyer, Levittown, NY
Sat Dec 12, 2009
Thanks Dan
They also emailed me the list of the 4 bank or certified checks we need. In total, it adds up to about $3000 more than we thought, but I still want to know why one check is to the US Treasury. Just doesnt make sense.
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Sat Dec 12, 2009
Hopefully it is something that would normally be expected. Could you have gotten it wrong what was said?

Is it possible that he meant you need 2 checks from the bank? One for $10k that would be out of the mortgage itself? And the rest in a separate account but all added up to the same amount you agreed to?

If not, your lawyer has not done his job right. I would even bet on it being unethical if he expects you to pay extra after you have explained what you would and wound not do. It could be a reportable (to the bar) offense if it is.
Beeinsilly, Home Buyer, Levittown, NY
Sat Dec 12, 2009
i called an emailed but no one is in the office until monday. I will call at 9am but we are supposed to close at 1230
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Dec 12, 2009
For an accurate answer and not knowing all the details, call your attorney and ask for an explanation--if you have your lawyer's cell phone or e-mail use it today.

Anna
Beeinsilly, Home Buyer, Levittown, NY
Sat Dec 12, 2009
Thanks, I appreciate your response. I thought about the owed taxes or tax lien, but my attorney knows how I feel about paying someone else's taxes; I pay enough of my own and told him I will NOT do that. I can't imagine he would go ahead with something like this. I really dont want to wait until 9am Monday to get an answer when we are supposed to close at 12:30!!
Arlynn B. Pa…, Agent, Roslyn Heights, NY
Sat Dec 12, 2009
Just a thought - the US government could have a lien against the home for any past unpaid income taxes that the current homeowner owes. Of course, without further information, I really don't know. Prior to the closing, you could get in touch with either your attorney or his office and ask. If need be, at the closing, ask to speak with your attorney privately prior to the actual start of the document signing.

Good luck to you - buying a home can be very stressful but the ownership of your own home is worth the stress!
Web Reference:  http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com
Pascual Paul…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Sat Dec 12, 2009
Sounds like the Transfer Tax. Contact your lawyer or who is representing him.
Web Reference:  http://PaulMVPteam.com