Anybody has any thoughts on Piedmont Residential developers?

Asked by Vibhav.agarwal, Atlanta, GA Thu Mar 21, 2013

Answers

9
Crow991155, Home Buyer, Marietta, GA
Wed Jan 1, 2014
Very very bad building company!! No integrity ,no honesty , and do not care about people
what was your experience? I have a client looking into a home built by PR, and some additional detail would be helpful. Thank you.
Flag Mon Jan 13, 2014
Sherylanne32, Home Buyer, Marietta, GA
Thu Feb 25, 2016
Are they really as bad as these reviews? We went to Park Village today to look around. Can anyone tell us anything about this particular community? I know builders are different in every location. We are trying to make a decision on a few subdivisions. Thanks for any info.
Trey, Home Buyer, Marietta, GA
Mon Jan 18, 2016
DO NOT BUY FROM PIEDMONT. DO NOT BUY FROM PIEDMONT. DO NOT BUY FROM PIEDMONT.

This company sucks. They built our at a premium rate ($800 faucets - $110 at Home Depot) and halfassed everything in the house. Currently we do not have power to a majority of the power outlets and cannot get anyone to come out under the warranty. Our front door frame is split where the installer cracked it and I was told it wasn't a big deal.

- The expensive french doors are crappy, warped builder grade door that don't even close evenly.

- The paint will need to be replaced within the first year as the painters put a chalky paint that rubs off easily. The painters did manage to get paint all over everything that shouldn't have paint on it..

- Our expensive granite counters are tearing away from the wall - started with a small space and now is about an inch gap between counter top and wall.

- The iron on the stair case was installed with the spacers all crooked and not uniform.

- Every outlet or light fixture that should be parallel and straight is crooked - one light fixture does not even cover the entire hole so there is a gap in the dry wall.

- The fireplace was an expensive upgrade and was supposed to be stone but it is only a stop face and the wood mantle is slanted several degrees.

- The central heating and air does not work in at least 2 rooms and the tech says that there is no problem even though it is 10 degrees difference hotter and freezing on cold days.

- The garage had big holes in the dry wall and the sales lady told me the garage would be big enough to fit a truck but barely has enough space for 2 cars to be able to open the doors.

- The landscaping was installed mostly dead and cost me about $2000 to fix everything costly me about what I could have done it myself - and they say "it's complimentary landscaping" and tell you to deal with it.

I could literally write stuff that is wrong for days. I personally feel I could have gotten better quality buying a double-wide trailer and REGRET my purchase. This house will cost me another $25000 to fix as these guys will not honor their LIMITED warranty.
LMS2015, Home Buyer, Dallas, GA
Sun Dec 27, 2015
Where do I even begin? Many of the comments below have already covered some of the concerns with Piedmont Residential.

1. Poor build quality - We have had issues with doors leaking water and floors getting damaged. Their attempts to fix are poor and do not fix the issue, only cover it up. In our house, they've been here 5 times to fix the doors and leaks. FIVE TIMES!

2. Layout and design is horrible. For example, the light switches throughout our entire house in the worst possible locations. Something I didn't think about before buying this home as we always came in the day.

3. Response time is horrible. Everything is weeks out before they can come out. The people have been easy to work with, but everyone is moving at a snail pace.

4. The day we moved in they were supposed to have fixed the issues on our list. The day of the final inspection/walk-through the original guy we did the walk with was out sick, the list of repairs was lost (coincidence?) and we were closing the same day. I should've backed out but we had already sold our other home and needed to move out so we were in a bind.

5. Our basement was already finished, but for whatever stupid reason, they decided not to put a single cable box outlet, or phone line outlet. So now I have to spend money to get wiring done as a retrofit which is always more expensive.

6. Garage door and sensor pre-wiring was completely wrong and just plain missing. Only reason we found out is because when the Home Depot installer came out to install our garage motor, he found the problem. He had to run temporary wires on the outside of the garage walls for the wall door opener and sensors, which looks terrible but not his fault.
It has been 6 months and just now Piedmont is coming to fix the issue so we don't have horrible wires hanging.

7. The fridge that was promised at closing and included with the home is not the same value as listed. They gave us one that is $500 less. I priced them both at Lowes and Piedmont gave us a cheaper fridge. Still dealing with that issue.

I would never ever buy from this builder again or recommend them to anyone, even my worst enemy. This place is absolute trash and we hope to sell soon around summer.
leanne.atkin…, Home Buyer, Tybee Island, GA
Tue Sep 1, 2015
terrible houses, terrible people. certain realtors lie to get people to purchase. Can't stand to hear that the homes are overpriced, the HOA is unrealistic, and some homes are horrible looking.
Need somebody else to run company .Not a 25 year old millennial with 2 mouths and one ear.
Bad experien…, Home Buyer, Kennesaw, GA
Thu Aug 13, 2015
Run as far away from Piedmont Residential as you can...

We bought a home from these guys a year ago. It has been a horrible experience. Our neighbors each have long lists of problems with physical issues in their homes AND with personnel at Piedmont in getting the issues resolved.

The construction is cheap, rushed, and as others have pointed out here and in other forums, they do quick little cover ups to conceal rather than repair issues. HORRIBLE customer service and dishonest and sneaky people who you have to deal with when issues arise. And they DO arise. And you DO have to deal with people, repeatedly, and beg for help which also comes with missed appointments, scheduling errors, and misdirection, unavailability, and run around.

Having observed two houses go up next to ours, its amazing these houses pass inspection. My landscaping guy was over when the siding as being put on the house next to ours and the first thing out of his mouth was, "The siding isn't level!" You can see it from the street.

Some issues we've had:

Leaky roof caused water to drip onto the ceiling above the master bedroom bed

Literally hundreds of nail pops

Large cracks above the doors and on walls

Sagging door frames that prevented doors from opening. The Piedmont solution? Shave a half inch off the top of the door. When the door wouldn't open agin, the wanted to shave another inch off the bottom of the door! I told them that we wouldn't be able to walk through it at this rate and I wanted a fix that included a full size door and door frame. The actual problem after I finally convinced them to bring in a structural engineer was the house was built without the proper supports and caused uneven pressure to be coming down on the back part of the house.

Large holes (fist sized) in the floor boards. I had them pull up the carpet and there were a dozen of them. You heel of your foot would literally sink into them as you walked on the carpet. Some were filled in with saw dust and nails, others were simply open. I was told that it's common practice when building a house that if it rains, you just go ahead and punch a hole in the floor with a hammer to let the water drain down to the basement. Yes, seriously.

When we walked into one of the bedrooms, the floor would noticeable sag. This was right where the hardwoods met a carpeted room. They pulled the carpet up here and the reason why it was sagging was that they cut a floor vent sized hole in the wrong part of the floor. They cut it right as you enter the room instead of to the side of the door. So, there's a 4-5 inch by 12-14 inch rectangular hole immediately when you walk into the room. The piedmont fix? They nailed a rectangular piece of tin over the hole with roofing nails. Of course roofing nails do not hold tin onto a floor that gets repeatedly stepped on so it came loose. They argued with me about their "fix" (a loose piece of tin) being within "tolerance" and "industry standards" It took two different people to come out and see it before it was fixed properly.

We had light switches that wouldn't turn on or off.

We had light switches that had to be balanced in the middle of the switch to work and that you had to press IN to the switch to work.

We had construction waste: Huge rubber bobcat tracks, bottles, cans, cement posts, bricks, old silt fence piled up in the back yard just into the tree line but visible from the house. It took over a year to get the big stuff out. The small stuff is still there. Listen to this, when I pointed it out, they said that there might be snakes or poison ivy near the pile so it would have to wait until the winter. The winter came and "the ground was too hard." Spring? No luck, the guy literally said he was too busy. They finally moved SOME of the debris out of our yard. So, I had to be here to point out the massive pile. They still didn't get it all. This is the norm with these people. Take off work, arrange a schedule, job still not done.Why, because they use subcontractors that they arrange through their "customer service" rep. Have fun dealing with her. Have fun dealing with non-English speaking subcontractors who were told they were coming to fix things that are incorrect. Have fun taking off work when these appointments are missed. Like i said, horrible!

Prior to buying the house and of course when we bought our house Piedmont walked us around the property and showed us the property stakes that were the boundaries of our land/lot. Pink ribbon tied to rebar or wooden stakes. We put up a fence. When we did, I had my neighbor with me to agree on the property lines. We both walked into the woods and agreed on what we were each shown by Piedmont. We built retaining walls on a backyard hill inside the fence. When we went to put in a pool, a survey was required that showed that that the property stakes were 20 FEET off on the back right and more than 5 feet off off on the back left. Both sides of the
mrzeeusa, Home Buyer, Marietta, GA
Tue Dec 10, 2013
Bad experience with them especially pro home warranty.
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Mr. Agarwal,

I am familiar with Peachtree Residential and have sold a few of their homes. But I am not sure what you want to know - are you wanting a blanket endorsement? Some sound advice would be better. Bob's comments below are spot on - NEVER deal directly with the builders agent - they are legally duty bound to get the best possible price and terms for their client - the builder - they are NOT looking out for you, the purchaser. "Not having your own Buyers Broker, is like being given the funds to hire an attorney, but instead going to court alone to try and fend for yourself." (SM)

I speak from experience. In addition to being a licensed GA Broker/Owner, I am an ICC Code Certified Residential Combination Inspector, and former owner of a home inspection and environmental consulting firm. I have evaluated thousands of new and existing homes in metro Atlanta, and I have seen some mistakes made during new home construction that are hard to believe, and I have the pictures to prove it. I will not name names, but the homes involved were built by both local and national builders.

Many of these homebuilding mistakes were correctable, but only because I found them before they were covered up with finish materials while monitoring the construction for my buyer clients - a value added service I perform at no cost. In cases where my client is buying a new home that is already finished and there were problems I was able to detect, I have had to advocate (sometimes vigorously) for my clients to get proper corrections done, sometimes in concert with consulting engineers I work with.

For purchasers with the flawed assumption that buying a new home comes with some kind of "built-in safety net or assurance" that things will go as they should - these were substantial issues that both the builders quality control team, and, county building department inspectors missed or passed of on. In a few cases the issues were so bad, I had to assist my client in getting out of the contract, earnest money intact.

We have some great builders and home plan designers in Atlanta, and relative to other areas in the country, some very good prices for our homes. The problem is when folks ask a question like the one above about a particular builder or developer, you can only answer it in terms of generalities if at all.

The word "builder" does not mean what it did in the 50's and 60's and prior years where there was a builder who knew what he was doing and was on the job everyday to oversee real craftsmen. Today (except for some small high end luxury home builders) building is all mass production and you will never see "the builder - Corp owner". Instead, various contractors are hired for each new development based on the lowest bids rather than being known for their workmanship, and that work is overseen by an employee known as the site superintendent - many who care, and some who don't.

So when you ask most agents what do you think about so and so builders, you often get an unqualified "they are wonderful". My answer is, I like a lot of builders products, some more than others, some have some unique finish and details, and some are more austere, but I have seen both good and bad products from many builders - where their site super dropped the ball or was simply overworked and spread too thin - much like county building inspectors.

From someone who is experienced in, and knows the new home construction industry, you have three options as a prospective new home buyer: 1. Hire me, and get outstanding and continuous support, and unmatched insight and technical services to greatly reduce your headaches all along the way, and assure a sound purchase and well built home. 2. Hire an ordinary agent - and have some limited contract help at the front end - tell them by for 3-6 months until closing - deal with the builder on your own in the mean time and take your chances on the home. 3. Go it alone and risk exposures at every turn, - handle all the unforeseen things that always come up during construction as best as you can - and essentially take your chances on everything.

My final suggestion if you choose option 2 or 3 - hire an ICC Certified Inspector or Licensed Engineer to monitor construction - this is not cheap at about $5 -$7K and up for bi-weekly site visits, but it can make all the difference between a successful outcome and a very unpleasant experience.

Don't hesitate to contact me for a no obligation consultation to discuss your plans. I can definitely help you if you are interested.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Property
Bob Southard, Agent, Roswell, GA
Fri Mar 22, 2013
I am not particularly familiar with them. However there are a few things I will say about buying a newly constructed home.
1.use your agent and do not deal directly with the onsite agent. Your agent will get a commission split form the seller so there is no cost to you. Several things that the agent needs to help you consider such as what will future development in and around the neighborhood be like, review the neighborhood covenants, get you comparisons to other similar neighborhoods and more.

2. Get a home inspection!!!!! Just because it is new does not mean it is all correct. Every single new home that I have ever sold has needed some type of correction after the home inspection. Sometimes minor and some items were fairly significant. One home home had roof trusses that apparently were broken in shipping. Everything might be perfectly fine while you own the home but when you go to sell those things that were incorrect will show up on that buyers inspection and at that point you own them and are responsible for repairs.

Please let me know how I can help. Thanks
Web Reference:  http://www.AgentBobSells.com