Any websites or agents specialized in pre-construction properties sales in California? Thanks.

Asked by Ray, California Tue Nov 20, 2007

Answers

6
Carrie, Both Buyer And Seller, Say Cheese!
Wed Nov 21, 2007
If you want an early headsup, get on the builder's pre-construction mailing list, at their home website. Michael gives a good link below. I wish I'd thought of it, since I use it. Right now is not a good pre-con time to pony up, because you could lose your deposit in their bankruptcy. These guys are better at this than movie producers. lol
Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Wed Nov 21, 2007
Hi Ray, Here is a source that appears to have a comprehensive value. Some and probably most builders want you to bring your Realtor upon your first visit to register. This is required so the builder will understand you are going to be represented by a broker. Seems silly but, that is the way they work. Kind of like presenting your discount coupon upon purchase.lol

Michael
http://www.MichaelRobertsHomes.com

http://www.newhomesource.com/communityresults/market-27?refe…
Wed Nov 21, 2007
Hello, Ray,

Look for websites that review a particular builder. There, you can read about the downsides. Yesterday's WSJ had a good article hidden in the back pages about builders' selling schemes.

One thing I have noticed is that builders' incentives are usually tied to using the builders' financing (they own the mortgage co.). I thought this was illegal, but what do I know? This reminds me of the financing scams of auto dealers, but they are relatively easy to work with.

Out here, many realtors invested in preconstruction buying, until the downturn left their units unsold. So I would look to a preconstruction realtor-investor for some advice about their experiences. To do this, look for an empty unit owned by a realtor, and talk to them.
Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Tue Nov 20, 2007
Hi Ray, What area are you inquiring about? Builders, usually, have their own websites to gleen info from. New construction and resale real estate are at odds right now. New construction offers incentives to buyers that resale agents and their clients have trouble competing with. That is one...two: New construction or builder's agents are mostly employed by the builder and are biased in nature. Their job is to sell you one of their builder's homes. Resale agents are often overlooked in this scenario and the builder would prefer working with you without cooperating with another broker(paying them commission). If their is a broker who specializes in new construction , I am not aware of them. Even when buying new construction I would advocate for representation from another broker to look after your best interests. Sometimes, NOT ALWAYS, builders offer financing and upgrades to buyers if they work exclusively with them. Who is going to make sure you are getting the best financing, warranty items are addressed in a timely manner, upgrades are up to snuff, construction delays are mitigated appropriately? I wish I had a better answer but, this is an area where individual interests are at odds with one another. I hope someone will post another perspective and possible alternatives.

Michael
http://www.MichaelRobertsHomes.com
Michelle Git…, Agent, Clayton, CA
Mon Dec 1, 2008
Hi Ray,

http://www.discoverybuilders.com/nbds/silverleaf/index.html
Here is another new development in Concord . They are currently building.

However, I would reccommed buying newer construction (1999 +) instead of preconstruction with the current market conditions. This is where you will get an incredible value in better neighborhoods.

If you would like me to email you homes of "newer contruction" with prices that have dropped up to 40% since 2005-2006 in Contra Costa County please send me your email address.
Ray, Home Buyer, California
Wed Nov 21, 2007
Hi Michael, thanks so much for prompt and very good feedback. I'm looking for pre-construction sales in Contra Costa County and Alameda County. I'd like to hear more from you and/or other brokers. Thanks again. Ray