Home Buying in Mission Bay>Question Details

SF Shopper, Home Buyer in

Any thoughts on the Signature Properties condos at 235/255/325 Berry Street? Construction quality, crime/noise, building management, mosquitoes,etc.

Asked by SF Shopper, Tue Mar 19, 2013

After looking around quite a bit in the area, I'm most attracted to the condos at 235/255/325 Berry, either to buy or rent. I know that they were all developed by the same company, and I really like the location. My specific concerns are: (a) are the buildings well-constructed, (b) is there much crime in the area (I've heard about potential break-ins in those buildings), (c) is there a problem with mosquitoes in that area. Also, I would be interested in hearing general impressions of those buildings -- they are fairly high-priced (over $800/sq ft) for buildings without any amenities, so I'm wondering if they are viewed as good values. Thanks!

kLeesf81’s answer
Hi - i'm also in the market and have done 18 months of research. here is what i've found - 255 and 235 Berry (Both built by Signature) condos are the best built, highest quality on the street. I'd give them an A+ rating. I personally think they are undervalued even at current prices. Here is how i would rank the other condos in the area - Again with 235 and 255 as the A+ standard. - Park Terrace/325 Berry A minus (not as nice as 255 and 235 but still nice). Fit and finish good but not as high and not quite as close to the more desirable part of Berry street. Arterra - B+ . Madrone B+ (similar high end construction to 255 and 235 Berry but not as close and only T line accessible vs. T & N line, Caltrain and 280 access like Berry). Radiance - B Minus. In answer to your other questions, I asked the many police who frequent the Philz coffee on Berry and they said there is little to no crime compared to SOMA/Mission. At the end of the day you cannot go wrong with a purchase on Berry street but if you can afford it, buy at 255 and 235 Berry first. If you can't , the others are still good investments. Hope this helps and hope we can find a unit soon. I'm frustrated with the lack of inventory. Good luck!
Many would argue that The Arterra is the A+ standard on Berry St.
Flag Tue Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the very helpful info. Hope we can be neighbors soon!
Flag Sat Mar 23, 2013
Hi SF Shopper,

You can learn more about the local neighborhood here on Trulia, take a look: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/San_Francisco-California/c…

Hope this helps!

Ali, Community Manager
Hi SF Shopper,

Well, I do know the buildings well and even have done business in there recently.

As a Realtor, I would shy away from making statements about the quality of the building or safety of the area. Why?

a. Nobody can make a statement about how well the building is constructed. In order to find out for sure you need to hire inspectors and structural engineers. However, many new buildings may have some construction defects and one of the Signature Properties has indeed a pending litigation for construction defects under SB 800. This is a good thing because the developer will eventually pay for repairs, but may restrict your lending options until the litigation is over. However, a recent 1 bd in the litigation building sold for over asking in an all cash transaction.
b. Please check the police crime reports; usually the break-ins the garage don't have much to do with the safety of the area, they happen virtually everywhere.
c. Again, you have to check the mosquitos situation by talking with the residents and eventually the management company. They have a property manager on the site. Another good resource are the people at the UCSF kayaking program, just along the creek. Talk to them, they are a good neighborhood resource and very friendly.
d. Finally, the smaller a property is, the higher the price per square feet. The appeal of these buildings is that you can also find quite large units, 2 and 3 bedrooms, which are not easy to find in South Beach and Mission Bay. Also, the HOA's are lower than in the amenities buildings.

Over all, I have not seen condos in any Signatures Properties sitting on the market for too long. They have nice finishes and layout, they are well located and they seem to be favourites with buyers.

At the end it is a personal decision.

I hope this helps.

Alina Aeby- Broker Associate
Pacific Union International