LME, Both Buyer and Seller in Union City, CA

Any thoughts on pros and cons re new homes in Stonebrae vs Dublin/Pleasanton area? My husband and I both work in the bay area; kids all in college.

Asked by LME, Union City, CA Mon Dec 30, 2013

Answers

4
I think Dublin/Pleasanton in general has better schools. While your kids are all in college this may not matter to you except for re-sale considerations (areas with better schools tend to be a better investment).

Stonebrae seems to offer newer/better feature homes for the same prices though. It's a tradeoff. Personally I live in Dublin and I am very happy about the community and where the city is heading in the future.
Stonebrae is a very desirable area and some of the homes have a great view. But the weather is not the best. It can get pretty foggy and windy up there. Also the commute to get to 880, 580 or Mission is quite long. The homes are very nice and since they were built recently (some still under construction) the whole area has that new look.

I would still recommend Dublin and Pleasanton since they have a much easier commute and between the two cities there are 3 BART Stations. The weather is much better than Stonebrae. Although schools may not be important to you any more, it is still a good investment in Pleasanton and Dublin since the schools are very good and property values will remain stable or go higher because of that.

Meena Gujral
Achievers Realty
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
925-425-9491
First of all, you will get a lot more house for your money in Stonebrae ... and if you like golf, so much the better ... but that will be offset by the commute - getting up and into Stonebrae can be a long hall depending on where you work. I've sold houses for sellers in Stonebrae who got tired of the commute up and into the hills every day. A second thing to consider is the weather. Dublin and Pleasanton are usually warm and sunny, while it can be like being on the Scottish moors up in Stonebrae. Here is a link to the weather cam at Stonebrae:

http://video.stonebrae.com/liveview/viewer?id=screen2

Check it out every day - especially early in the mornings. If you can't see anything, it's called ... fog. Oh, and did I mention that cell coverage can be very bad up ion the hills ...?
The best thing to do is open up trulia in two windows and put in both cities into the search. From there you can do a little side by side comparison on home values, crime, schools, etc.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com