Annual property tax

Asked by Alycia, Leominster, MA Sun Apr 5, 2009

How does one go about getting the tax appraisal reevaluted to the current value of the home?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Sun Apr 5, 2009
Hi, Alycia ... here is where you can find the abatement form for the City of Leominster.

Note that there is special consideration for homeowners who are blind, over the age of 70, a minor, widowed or a veteran. Otherwise, your reason for abatement may be a disagreement with the "market worth" of the home for which you would help your case by providing comparable data.

Be aware that most assessments are based on the market value of your property from 2 years ago. So it is the market value of your property in 2007 that is going to impact your 2009 property taxes.

Best of luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sun Apr 5, 2009
Your city has a board of assessors that are responsible for establishing the value for tax purposes. The assessed value is usually not the same as market value because of the lag effect (see link below).

Contact the office and ask how you can ask for a revaluation of your property. A Realtor might be able to help you. You will need comparable sales to help make your case.

Good luck.
0 votes
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Sun Apr 5, 2009
Link below from Realtyman's answer. Good Luck!
0 votes
Gerry Bourge…, Agent, Leominster, MA
Sun Apr 5, 2009
Hi Alycia,

I believe you are referring to the property Assessment value. The way it works here, the Assessment values run about 1 to 2 years 'Behind' the market due to the way the fiscal year works in addition to the city needing to have the values certified by the State of MA. The only shot you have of getting an abatement (or re-valuation) is if SIMILAR Properties are assessed at a significantly Lower value than yours. (If they are all assessed the same as yours, you don't have a chance). You can find out by going to and click through MA to Leominster. All the values in town are there.
Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but that's how it is.
0 votes
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Sun Apr 5, 2009
In our state, Alycia, if you are the owner of record on January 1, you appeal directly to your county's tax assessor's department. They may or may not grant the request, in which case you may appeal to the Board of Equalization, which will then set the value. We also may file for a Homestead Exemption in our county, as well as an age exemption, if we qualify.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Leominster Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more