Newbee, Home Buyer in 11791

Am doing a house hunt in Syosset NY, can anyone 1)explain me on construction types(like?

Asked by Newbee, 11791 Tue Jul 28, 2009

wooden,frame,brick..blabla..) and 2)also want to know if simple carpetted floors can be easily converted back to good hard wood floors. How Cost effective is that?

Answers

5
Hello. It is probably easier to discuss various construction types verbally, since I am not certain what you want to know specifically. There are many construction types. As for your second question, depending on the style of the home and whether or not there is a basement, might determine he cost efficiency of converting a carpeted floor (what is under it slab or plywood for example?) to a good hard wood floor. They likely can be easily converted though. What are your plans once you put in the new hard wood? Will you be covering them up?
Any questions or if you want more details, please do not hesitate.
Hilton Dubovy
Hello Newbee,
I live in Syosset too and yes as Joseph said there are mixture of homes. Mostly, old houses are built with shingle(wood), Newer houses are vinyl siding and sometimes they use brick to better look (depends on homeowner's taste). Most house is hardwood underneath the carpet and you could easily change it to hard wood floor with little cost, but again it all depend on the condition.

If you need help with any other real estate matter, I'll glad to help you. Good luck with your house hunting!!
Hi Newbee,

I live in Syosset, in the clearview village section of Syosset, and there is a mixture of homes there that can confuse a new home buyer. Some of the homes built there are all brick, some have brick just in the front, most have some form of siding . . . whether vinyl or asbestos, but overall that field that you are referring to is used to describe with what material the house facade was built with. My house had asbestos shingles and then the homeowner put vinyl siding on top of that. I removed all of it myself when I purchased and replaced it with a new vinyl siding. When I work with buyers I only work with them as buyers agents. What this means is that I look after the best interest of the buyers and investigate these issues. Overall, whether you have brick, stucco, vinyl etc doesnt affect the overall structure of the house, it only affects the curb appeal and maintenance. Older houses that have not been maintained, regardless of material will need to be repaired or replaced and vinyl is cheaper than brick!!!

As to the rugs . . . .it depends. If the homeowner does NOT have dogs then the answer is probably yes, provided they have not sanded the floors before. Floors can only be sanded twice without replacement. So 1. See if they have dogs and 2. Ask if the floors have been sanded before. If they have dogs then be prepared to replace some stained sections of the floor, and if they were sanded before, you may have to replace the floor depending how thick the boards are at the time you want to sand. When i bought my house, they had dogs and I had to replaced some stained sections of the floors because the dogs peed through the rugs. It cost me about $500 extra in wood. Again, a buyers agent will consult you on this and especially if they know what they are talking about. Overall, it was a 3 day process for me and it cost me about $2500 to remove rugs, add some wood sections, sand, stain and 3 coats of polyurethane the floors in 3 bedrooms, hallway, living room, and dinging room, with two stair cases. Not bad. I have people that can help you budget for today's costs.

Oh . . . by the way. I know of some great houses in Syosset. I just sold one on my block but there are some houses that in my opinion are great buys and in great condition.

Joseph DeVito
516 770 3782
jdevito@kw.com
Hello Newbee,
Construction types are different in different parts of the country. Here most homes are stick framed which simply means each piece is put in place on site to form a home. There are some modular homes which are assembled off site and delivered to site and reassembled.There is also a combination of these type in track home developments. Masonary homes are mostly faceing, like siding upon a framed home. Other parts of the country, mostly southern , will form maronary walls and put a wood roof above the structure. The floor and exterior walls all being of stone, block or concrete.
Not all carpet floors are layed over hardwood flooring. Builders will carpet over plywood to cut costs. Removing a carpet floor to install wood flooring could be costly. The new prefinished flooring is great for this it is thin so you dont get transition bumps and if the subfloor is not level this type of flooring floats over these irregularities. Hardwood flooring requires alot of steps for installation including staining and sanding. If there is hardwood under the existing carpet provided it is not damaged, it is easy to restore it just requires some time and knowledge to accomplish. As far as cost the cheapest thing is to carpet depending on the choice of carpet. Some carpet can cost a lot more than the expense of wood restoration or installation.
I would finish the wood floor under the carpet if it exists than carpet the center of the room and expose the perimeter. Leave as much hardwood exposed as possible and cover the sitting or active areas to mute echo and noise. Forget the cost and make it appealing to you, how many times do you walk into a room and look up? If the floor is inviting the room will be used and appericated more than the same room with a uninteresting floor cover. Colors are a matter of personal prefrence.
Don't be too concerned about construction types, they are what they are and all houses have to be built to code. When you find your new home have an engineer do an inspection to determine if any problematic issues exist in the structure. Yes, carpeting can be removed and most often underneath you will find great wooden floors that my need some refinishing--cost will have to be determined after the carpeting is out, and will depend on the size of flooring. If you need assistance feel free to call or e-mail.

Anna
917-576-5376
abrocco@laffey.com