Am considering a move to Nevada City. I have two small children. Is this a good place to raise kids? Are the schools good? How is the commute to sac?

Asked by kml1, Nevada City, CA Mon Sep 17, 2012

Answers

2
Stacy King, Agent, Grass Valley, CA
Tue Sep 18, 2012
This will be the best move you have ever made!
My two children went through our public school system and they are both in college now, they were very prepared for college and have transitioned successfully.
I am very proud to say that the majority of our schools are award winning schools. We have many schools to choose from. Public & private , charter programs, Montessori/charter, Christian, and huge home schooling programs where they do go to some classes and have an Educations Specialist come to the home to oversee and make sure the children are on track. We also have the Ghidotti high school program where the kids go to the local community college “Sierra College” and they can graduate high school with a 2 year college degree.
In regards to the elementary schools, there is a lot of parent volunteerism here which I believe makes a huge difference in our schools. It’s a wonderful place for young parents to make life long friends when you find yourself volunteering with others.
I do have a good friend that moved here from So Africa and chose the “Pleasant Ridge Elementary School District” because of all the research she did on the Internet she learned it was one of the best in the State.
If you would like any more info, don't hesitate to give me a call 530-575-7539 or e-mail stacyking@goskywest.com
Thanks~ Stacy
Cary Sanders, Agent, Grass Valley, CA
Mon Sep 17, 2012
Nevada City is a wonderful place to raise children and live! We have three children in elementary schools, one in high school, and two recent high school graduates. My wife was born and raised in this community, and we wouldn't want to raise our children anywhere else.

The commute to Sacramento is about an hour's drive, depending on which part of the city you're going to. I did that commute for a while. One big factor is the time of the commute. Lots of people commute there for work, so if your hours can be a little bit off from the main commuting hours, the traffic is a lot less hectic.

I hope you end up moving here - you'll love raising your kids in our community!