All the houses we've found in our budget are extremely close to high crime areas. What is a safe distance, and what precautions should we take?

Asked by GCheli, Saint Louis, MO Sun Feb 10, 2013

Area is between Mt. Pleasant and Carondelet Park. Prefer Carondelet park or South Hampton.Budget around $60k. Must stay in city limits, fiance is a police officer.

Answers

10
Bob Waters’ answer
Bob Waters, Agent, Chesterfield, MO
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Rather than focus on the crime in the area you wish to live, you should first look into "Neighborhood Stabilization Programs" for the City which gives preferred rates and pricing on houses in certain areas. This is normally reserved for police officers, firemen, EMT's and teachers. There are a lot of properties that you should be able to choose from that may not be available to the general public. Good Luck!!
rkro44, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Sun Apr 12, 2015
The crime statistics do not reflect the actual neighborhood. They are based on call to police service.. I spent a year in a neighborhood. (Carondelet). which here shows high crime, i never seen or heard of crimes in actual neighborhood.. Never had problems. And in these neighborhood police presents is high. Response time by many officers or unit, is very fast.. They are in my experience, wife and kids experiences safe.. SNL
Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Fri Mar 8, 2013
Yes there are some better programs for police officers. Contact your loan officer
Vernae/Nell…, Agent, Hazelwood, MO
Fri Feb 15, 2013
There are programs out there for policemen, fireman, school teachers, etc. Give me a call and let me work for you. vernae@gmail.com 314-304-3324
Dana Tippit, Agent, Wildwood, MO
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Consider a condo...or home needing work. There are properties all throughout the City under $60K.

All the agent answers as to safety are excellent: Check statistics, use your fiancé’s knowledge and when you decide on an area, go to the stores and restaurants there, walk through the subdivisions and see how you feel...see if you are comfortable and trust your instincts.

Lisa Rozier, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Mon Feb 11, 2013
It is best for your fiance to check with law enforcement which should be reasonably simple as he is a police officer. I suggest you compare the areas for the amount of crimes reported and choose which area you will feel more content in.
Greg Bowen, Agent, Town and Country, MO
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Contact your local law enforcement for the area you anticipate living in.
Craig Bentrup, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Mon Feb 11, 2013
I am a former St Louis City police officer and run my own real estate company. With a budget of only $60,000 you may be better off renting for a while and building your credit history. Finding a decent home in Carondolet or South Hampton area for under $60k will be difficult at best.

Let me know if I can help.

Feel free to email me directly at patriotrealtors@gmail.com
Good advise Craig! Are you by chance related to Gene?
Flag Mon Feb 11, 2013
Karen Wagner, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Mon Feb 11, 2013
I agree with the answer that a "safe distance is subjective". I refer all of my clients to the City Police website for them to judge the crime statistics in an area of interest to them.
Dan Brassil, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Sun Feb 10, 2013
Your fiance may be better able to answer that question. A "safe" distance is very subjective and not one a realtor can or should answer. My recommendation would be to research specific areas for reported crimes (see attached link). You will then have the information you need to find to find the appropriate area. Personally, I love the Carondelet and Southampton areas. Let me know if you need any more help.