After you have purchased a home and some how the city inspector have cited that permits were not applied for for a rehab. Can the buyers contract?

Asked by ddjjts, Chicago, IL Mon Dec 3, 2012

be used as proof of the seller saying he filed for all permits for a rehab. ex. line 179 thur 182 of the mult board residential real estate contract

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Mon Dec 3, 2012
You are now asking for legal advice and we can't give that. You had your chance to investigate anything before you closed on the property, since you did close it means you accepted the property as it was. You are now asking if the seller committed fraud and that is tough to prove, you need to contact a lawyer to find out what you could do about it.
2 votes
Jim Starwalt, Agent, Grayslake, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Tim has some great advise. Some of what you will be up against will be proving the sellers had the work done. Were the sellers that sold to you the original owners? Perhaps the sellers answered to the best of their ability and knowledge, they might have contracted the work and assumed all work was performed up to code and all permits were taken care of by the contractor. But beyond that, as to if the sellers committed fraud, or can be held liable for your damages is definitely a question for legal counsel and the courts.
1 vote
Jeff Nobleza, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Lines 179 and 182 seem to address deed and title.

At closing did the title commitment note exceptions? What was discussed in your attorney review period prior to closing? Did you agree to purchase the property "as-is"? What terms were negotiated?

There's likely more to the story than what we see here. You should consult with your attorney that you used to purchase the property and maybe also the group that issued your title insurance.

If you need a lawyer I suggest you contact Erik Miles at 312-854-8092 as his rates are reasonable.
0 votes
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
the city does not care about who told you what.. separate are accountable
0 votes
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 4, 2012
You should contact the attorney you used for the closing
0 votes
David Hanna, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
By now you know what we all advise- contact your attorney- and find out what permits are missing.
You might find a trip to the alderman's office is worth it, too.
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Honestly, I would just speak with your attorney as soon as possible. There is more details they need, and this is legal advice that we cant provide.
0 votes
Erik Sachs, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Google "City of Chicago building violations", go to the website and type in the address and you can see what permits have been pulled, when inspections occured, whether they passed, etc. (and the status of any ongoing court cases, if any).

You own the property now and inspectors do not care about language in your purchase contract. They are more concerned about what the city's system says about the address. First step, find out what the system says, once you have that info you can bring to someone that specializes in helping solve these types of problems and that person might be an attorney.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty
Cell 773/368-5515
0 votes
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Whatever the city has on file as per permits pulled is all they care about. As with violations on a property you inherit (and all its consequences) the previous work done w/ or w/out permits.
0 votes
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Dear Home buyer.

Tim did give you great advice. You do need to talk to an attorney! I personally know of a situation where permits hadn't been pulled and a fire occurred in the area that was rehabbed. When the insurance company looked into they found out no permits had been pulled for the rehab and the owner was left to flip the bill for the reconstruction.

Manuel Brown, Broker
iMove Chicago
0 votes
Charles Edwa…, Both Buyer And Seller, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Contact an attorney, IN A HURRY,there are things that can happen with permits not being pulled
by the homeowner or contractor and they are all bad.
0 votes
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
You need to speak with your attorney that handled the transaction. At best I think all you 'might' be able to do is go after the seller for compensation, but the city could care less about any contract. You need to do whatever they tell you to do.
Sounds like someone did not do all their homework.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more