After searching for about 6 months or longer, I finally found a house in Brighton Heights that I really,

Asked by Desperately Seeking Advice, Brighton Heights, Pittsburgh, PA Tue May 27, 2008

really like and would love to own. My plan was to not exceed a selling price of 110k (while expectng to bid 105K ). The house that I would like to purchase is 129K. Would it be worth it to exoress an interest or am I wishing for something that's probably a waste of my time.

Answers

3
Rebekah Sieg…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Tue May 27, 2008
It is definitely worth it to try! Just because the asking price is 129K doesn't mean the sellers won't take less. Lots of factors, such as the sellers' personal situation as well as the length of time the property has been on the market, and what the property's current market value is and what they owe on it, can determine how much they will take. You should contact a real estate professional at once - this person will be able to help you by talking to the agents who have listed the house while representing you alone as the buyer. I am qualified to do this work, as are many other real estate professionals on this website and others. Please feel free to contact me - if not me, certainly contact an agent in general, because you might risk losing your dream home when you might have been able to get it.
Erin J. Mart…, , Pittsburgh, PA
Tue May 27, 2008
Hello! You will never know unless you put in an offer! There are a lot of factors that go into what a person is willing to take for their home and sometimes it doesnt always relate directly to the number you are offering. If you feel you are coming in a little low, do your best to make the other terms of your offer strong. Offer at least 5% hand money and close as quickly as you can. Also, be sure you have met with a reputable Mortage Lender and have a strong pre-apporval letter ready to present with your offer.
Your agent can certainly do some research for you into the property and let you know how long it has been on the market, and if any other offers have fallen through. This will all help you in determining a fair starting point for your negotiations.
I hope this is helpful and good luck! If you need any additional assistance - I am happy to help!
Crystal Alfo…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Tue May 27, 2008
I think Erin hit the nail on the head! Make a good strong offer with as much hand money as possible, have a strong pre-approval letter, keep your inspection contingencies simple (one way to do this is to shorten the traditional 15 days to 10 days or less) and make it clear that you want the house, you're not playing games, trying to "steal" something.