After a seller or buyer gets an Agent or Realtor, how frequent should the Realtor contact and update his or her client?

Asked by Peachtreefan, 30269 Thu Dec 2, 2010

Answers

22
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Thu Dec 2, 2010
Important to set expectations up front - with sellers I try to communicate at least weekly and with buyers as often as necessary to update/follow up. Communication is crucial and I recommend that expectations be discussed and agreed upon up front.

There is nothing worse of a seller than the experience with an agent that lists and disappears.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Sam Provan, Agent, Sun City Center, FL
Thu Dec 2, 2010
My clients Buyers and Sellers are connected with a program I have wherein they get a daily update on their property - plus can wite me notes which I answer ASAP - usually within the same day --- The Clients that are not computer literate I contact on a weekly basis or they will call me -- it's good to keep contact with your client -- I know it's the belief that a lot of listings is "money in the bank" however, I feel with fewer listings I can give my customers more personal contact and attention.
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Thu Dec 2, 2010
Good Afternoon Peachtreefan;
On the sell side the agent should update and provide feedback to the owner immediately after a showing of the property. Further updates should be at least every other week or more if requested.
On the buy side the agent should inform the buyer of any new listings that match the buyer's criteria. Besides this the Realtor should have a "feel" from the buyer as to how often contact be made so as to not "pressure" the buyer into any decisions.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Jennifer M H…, , Miami, FL
Sun Feb 10, 2013
I consider communication to be extremely important between Realtors and Sellers as well as Buyers. I feel that Realtors should contact and/or update their customers on a weekly basis at the very least. If you feel that your Realtor isn't communicating well enough with you, it's certainly something you should bring to their attention. If you bring the issue up with them and they still do nothing to improve their communication with you, that's when you know it's time to find a new Agent.

Jennifer Hess
HB Roswell Realty
(305) 807-0532
Joseph Roraff, Agent, Onalaska, WI
Sun Feb 10, 2013
As often as you want. Usually I try to keep in contact with my clients whenever I have new info and they call me when they have questions.
Melissa Risl…, Agent, Fayetteville, GA
Sun Feb 10, 2013
It will depend on how far along in the process we are. If I have your home listed...I will contact you at least once a week or how ever many times we have agreed is necessary to keep everyone informed. I will call and give you feedback after every showing.
Buyers will hear from me while in the search mode all the time. Homes come on the market fast and the good ones get snatched up right away. I want to be the first Realtor to get in a house and show my buyer. While under contract and ready to close. I contact my buyers at least once a week to give updates etc...
My phone is ALWAYS answered. I work full time. Every day of the week and at all hours. This job is Not part time and if any agent tells you they work someplace else and do real estate on the side....you should find someone else. fast.
Mario Toledo, Agent, Peachtree City, GA
Wed Sep 7, 2011
This should be discussed and agreed before the Broker's Agreement is signed. My frequency and method of agent-client communication with buyers and sellers is once a week usually
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Mon Jan 3, 2011
So, how is your agent's reach and frequency nowadays?

Setting expectations of how to communicate, when to communicate, and what platform is best are all vital to making clients happy.

There is no set standard...there is only performance.
Dave Core, , Peachtree City, GA
Fri Dec 3, 2010
The simple answer is whatever you and the client determine in the initial meeting. Buyers and Sellers have different needs and personalities and I think it is important that an agent knows that individual service is critical in establishing a team approach with the client in order to help them accomplish their goals. I spend at least 1-2 hours with the client in the initial meeting and one topic that is covered is on-going communication and frequency. Also, in this day of technology, how that communication will be done (i.e., email, texting, voice, etc...). It is important to establish the definitions of what information there will be and how important it is for each party. For example, it may not be productive or enlighting for the client to receive a twice weekly report that says nothing is happening with their listing. It may be more important to show activity with real numbers twice a month. As I said, everybody's need for information is different. Once you have determined how that communication and frequency will be done then its a matter of the agent maintaining it. As always, any question or phone call should be handled immediately between either party. That's also something that the initial meeting will determine because both parties have some responsibilty in the total transaction. I hope this answer was helpful. I would be happt to help you with any other questions.
Dave Core
The American Dream Realtors
404-597-2249
Tammy J Smith, Agent, Knoxville, TN
Thu Dec 2, 2010
I keep in contact weekly with either a phone call or email to my sellers. I keep in contact when ever necessary to my buyers. It is very important that each client feel important and kept up on any new developments. Any time there is anything new the buyer or seller should know immediately.
Peter Kedzior, Agent, Elk Grove Village, IL
Thu Dec 2, 2010
Not all sellers or buyers are created equal. I am mostly working with buyers and there are at least three types of them. There are people that have to move by certain date (we all love them, don't we?), there are also buyers who want to have a feeling of the market so they can get more active when the "right time" comes. There are also those "buyers" who haven't yet decided to move yet and are just curious what is going on... So, unless someone regularly receives from me new and updated listings from the MLS, I put him or her on my e-mail list and send them my past blog posts, market statistics, some hot real estate news etc. No more often than once a week. That keeps them up to date and also, put me more in the position of a consultant than a sales person. Because not all buyers need a sales person at all times.
Joan Congilo…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Thu Dec 2, 2010
If I am actively showing a buyer properties I am in touch with them daily & once they are in contract we are in touch weekly or more often as needed up until the closing. My sellers & I have open communication & I am in touch with them by phone when buyers or agents want to see their home, when i need to give them feedback on showiings or when they get offers. In addition they here from me regularly by e-mail, receive weekly showing & activity reports & market updates on their competition.Once their home is in contract I am in touch with them weekly or more often as needed throughout the sales process up until closing.
Web Reference:  http://www.joancongilose.com
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Dec 2, 2010
that's up to you and your agent. Let your agent know how often you'd LIKE to be updated (and how... phone, e-mail, text?)...

some clients liked to be updated multiple times per day, and some clients don't want to be bothered, unless and until you have a contract for them. Talk to your agent, and ask that question... they'll have some suggestions (as some have had already in this thread).. and if that suits you, great... if not, let your agent know.

You need to be compatible... but remember... your agent can't read your mind. They don't know that you're not getting enough contact (or getting too much) unless you tell them.

Ken Drummet, Agent, Park City, UT
Thu Dec 2, 2010
I always establish the best contact day of the week so I know that my call or email will be convenient for the client. In addition, I always make clients aware that new listings and showings can happen anytime, and hopefully often, so be prepared to get feedback daily. Just let me know how you would prefer to be contacted.
Pete Canavan, Agent, Peachtree City, GA
Thu Dec 2, 2010
Good Day Peachtreefan,

I would contact my sellers once a week to keep them informed of any activity unless otherwise stipulated.
Showing feedback should be shared with the client as soon as possible.
The seller and agent should meet whenever necessary, to adjust the marketing plan.
Brad Hartman, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Atlanta, GA
Thu Dec 2, 2010
I am not a realtor but with my clients as a mortgage broker we have a conversation to see how often they desire to be contacted. If you are someone that needs little or a lot of updates you should communicate that. Good luck with your home seach.

Brad Hartman
bhartman@cmghl.com
678-578-7611
Web Reference:  http://www.brad-hartman.com
Cindy Nash, Agent, Orange Beach, AL
Thu Dec 2, 2010
With the buyers permission, I set them up in my contact base to receive emails everytime a new listing comes on the market that meets their criteria, location, bedrooms, price range, etc. They also receive notices when there is a price change that would put the home in their catergory. As far as sellers, I contact them everytime there is a showing on their property, providing them with feedback. If there has not been any activity on the property, I will contact them after a few weeks to see what we need to adjust to gain some interest.
Web Reference:  http://www.brownnashco.com
Martin Wise, Agent, Anthem, AZ
Thu Dec 2, 2010
Peachtree Fan -

An agent should ASK the buyer or seller IF and HOW OFTEN they WANT to be contacted. Period.
Just my humble opinion.
Martin Wise
2010 Fayette County Realtor of the Year
Stephanie Mc…, Agent, Canton, GA
Thu Dec 2, 2010
Dear Peachtreefan: some clients want more contact than others. Some people are very busy and want to hear from you when they need to know something. For those clients I provide email market updates on a regular basis in addition to telephone contact for feedback etc. A serious buyer requires more contact and attention because there is typically a "mission" involved until you get a home under contract for them. If you are already represented and unhappy with the amount of contact, discuss it with your agent - sometimes it's a balancing act and she or he may not understand your preferences. Good luck.
Teddy Sonner, Agent, Washington, DC
Thu Dec 2, 2010
That all depends on the relationship. If the agent is representing the seller, a steady contact should be maintained with how things are going with respect to finding a buyer ( how did the open house go, what else is selling, what level of interest is there, what are agents saying etc.??) On the buyer's agent side, it can range from constant contact to steady depending on the seriousness of the buyer. But the agent should be able to perform as to their client's expectations.
Mike Jones, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Thu Dec 2, 2010
The frequency and method of agent client commnication should be established prior to signing the Broker's agreement. Hope this helps.
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Thu Dec 2, 2010
We try to contact our clients at least weekly, Peachtree, but it varies on the type property, what infomation they want related, etc. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org