Affordable Houses By the Lake

Asked by Blair Winston, Evanston, IL Mon Feb 25, 2013

Hi, I'm looking for houses by the lake 750,000 and under. 3 plus bedrooms and 3 plus bath.
Thank you
Elle

Answers

9
Mike LeFevere, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Mar 10, 2013
Please feel free to reach out to me for advice and guidance. My cell is 773 733 1153. Thanks and I look forward to speaking with you.
rich, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Sat Mar 9, 2013
Hi Blair - the brutal truth is that you cannot live by the lake in Evanston for your price point unless it's a house in really bad shape and even then it'll be a feeding frenzy. Brokers will sugar coat it for you to hopefully lure you in to looking at other stuff far from the lake.

There were a couple of properties came up on Orrington in the last 6-12 months, well under that figure but requiring a lot of work. And Orrington is not 'by the lake'. Further south in south east Evanston I'm amazed at the prices people are asking for really underwhelming houses. There's no inventory on the market - none - so people are starting to ask crazy prices again.

If you want some impartial advice from someone who is not trying to take a commission out of you please ping me back.
Dayle Lively, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Hello Blair,

Over the years I've received a number of requests for homes on or very near the lake. Most people think that because they're not asking for very large homes, that they will be able to find smaller, 3-4 bedroom homes near the water. As you can imagine, because of the very limited space on the lake shore, most homes that were built close to the water are extremely large--maximizing the coveted space. Currently there are about 9 homes available in Evanston and Wilmette between $700,000-$1.000.000 that are very close to the lake.

I've lived within a few blocks of the lake for a very long time (both in Evanston and Winnetka)--which I love, and I can tell you that being able to walk 5-10 minutes to a beach is wonderful. You don't actually have to own a lakefront property to enjoy the proximity.

Please let me know if I can assist you in your search.

Dayle Lively
847-507-8832
Kathleen Buf…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Elle
This is a great neighborhood and since i live here I can assist you with not only what is on the market but what may be forthcoming. While the market continues to have low inventory, homes are selling in many cases before they hit the listings online. So it is important to have an established relationship with an agent who is an expert in the area.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or if I may be of assistance to you.
Osh Nissan, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Blair / Elle,
Looks like you've been in the hunt since at least last fall. If you're referring to Evanston specifically, you will notice substantially more inventory coming to market as winter fades. Typically peak inventory is April - June. Your price point is doable within walking distance to the lake.
You should seriously consider developing a relationship with a broker / agent. Like any professional that you have a trusted, long-term relationship with (attorney, medical professional, financial advisor), a broker will guide you through the process and send you information on every asset that meets your requirements.
Feel free to reach out if you have further questions.
Cheers,
Osh

Ashur 'Osh' Nissan
847-644-9177
Stan Thoren, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Feb 25, 2013
537 Forest is closest to what you want...a couple of blocks from the lake. It is listed at $775,000. Five bedrooms and three baths. Let me know if you want the listing sheet.

Stan Thoren
Jameson Sotheby's International Realty
Evanston
847-256-6454
sthoren@jamesonsir.com
Lynn Briskin, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Hi Elle,

I would be happy to provide you with information related to the current listings in the area.

Feel free to reach out directly at your convenience.
lynnbriskin@atproperties.com or 847.732.0303.

Lynn
Noah Seidenb…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Arlyn Tratt, Agent, Skokie, IL
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Ellie,
Check out http://www.arlyntratt.listingbook.com

This is my website. It gives you real time MLS property search information.
Basically it lets you search the MLS like an agent.

Lets connect!
Arlyn
773-370-0003