ARE CONTRACTOR BIDS (I.E DRYWALL) EVER BROKEN DOWN TO ACTUAL COSTS FOR MATERIALS AND LABOR COSTS?

Asked by Tom, Burbank, CA Wed Feb 4, 2009

IF SO, CAN A HOME BUYER GET AN ITEMIZATION RATHER THAN A TOTAL COST FOR THE JOB?

Answers

3
Keith Sorem’s answer
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sat Feb 7, 2009
Tom
You will find that there is a large variety in the bid detail that you receive. Depending on the work that you want done, some contractors are reluctant to itemize because then you will see where they make their profit.

For example, we had a re-model for an investment property. We told our manager that we wanted to compare apples to apples bids, so he recommended that the contractors be directed how to submit the bids. In our case the format was to provide the cost of each item, then include their profit as a line item. It made it a lot easier to compare and negotiate.

The other factor to bear in mind is that some contractors work more "by the seat of their pants" and simply do not have the type of data that you are requesting. For them to provide a bid in that format "would take too much time".

If you need a referral or have questions, give me a call.
Dp2, , Virginia
Wed Feb 4, 2009
Not only can you get this, most investors insist on getting this. In fact, some investors go as far as to calculate the costs/day for each project.
Dave Heck, , Arcadia, CA
Wed Feb 4, 2009
You can ask for one. It's a fact that construction costs are predominantly labor. That's why do it yourselfer's save so much money. Shop around, there are a lot of quality folks working for a great rate in this economy. Send me an email for more info. dave@daveheck.com