Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Hayward : Real Estate Advice

  • All293
  • Local Info16
  • Home Buying123
  • Home Selling16
  • Market Conditions10

Activity 8
Fri Dec 12, 2014
Jill Murty answered:
Having a garage sale against your landlord's wishes is an excellent way to ruin your living situation.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 11, 2014
Dan Tabit answered:
I'd call the cops. A tenant may have rights, but destruction of personal property isn't one of them. They may speed things up for you.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Nov 15, 2012
Vikki answered:
bay property group fremont office 510 505 5545 vikki
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
Possibly go down to the County offices and talk to them about leaving it on in your name.

You can work out the details later;

I might suggest opening a Bank account for your Rent, and deduct the water bill, keeping all your receipts.

Good luck and may God bless
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 20, 2011
Dp2 answered:
First, I'm an investor, and I've dealt with rentals in lower and higher rent areas. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that John is absolutely correct: "Statistics show that you are just as likely to have eviction problems in high rent areas as you would in low rent areas." People are people no matter where they live.

Second, a rental is a business--not a hobby--so treat it as such. You need a well-written lease that's sufficiently strong enough to protect your interests. In that lease, you'd spell out your terms (including the rent). Also, keep in mind that a lease is only as good as the terms that you enforce, and your tenants will follow your lead.

Third, tenants will moonwalk all over a soft landlord. Ask me how I know this one . . . let's just say that experience is an expensive mentor. Avoid signing up for the virtual classes at the School of Hard Knocks, and police your lease. By the way, you might want to strongly consider hiring a property manager.

Fourth, get involved with one of your local REI clubs. That way you'll be able to learn more about the landlord business from others.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 5, 2009
Joe Salcedo answered:
Their is no way you can ask for a. refund of your rent at this point that is my
opinion when you rent this studio, first thing to do is to check every items that
come with the studio. If the insulation is the issue right now you should ask
the landlord to install as soon as possible if he did not do it then its time to
give a noticed of termination remember that (30)day noticed of termination. On the mail address the landlord
ask you to add letter A but this not a legal to do it the mailman is right that addition is not registered.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Oct 2, 2009
Joe Nernberg answered:
Document EVERYTHING. You probably will not be entitled to any damages, except costs to move. Yes, prepare to move out. The garage conversion is not code compliant. There is no requirement for air conditioning or insulation in a legal residence. There are, however, a few things that a dwelling must have:

1. Heat.
2. Bathroom.
3. Windows (sized and operable for proper egress).
4. Smoke alarm.
5. Cooking facilities.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Feb 16, 2009
Dawn Rivera answered:
Hi Raisi, sounds to me as if you are in the right, but I do not want to give you bad information so I will refer you to my broker who has been doing property management for over 20 years. i am sure he will be able to help you. You can contact him at good luck ...Dawn ... more
2 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice