Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Hayes Valley : Real Estate Advice

  • All17
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying5
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 17
Thu Dec 4, 2014
rosewwwdot answered:
Hi Phil, I have created a digital design service for home exterior redesigns without a full renovation, you can see examples of our work here :

By making small improvements you can easily increase the value of your home and of course, make you and your neighbors happy!


Rosemary Williams
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 6, 2014
George Langford answered:
As agents we are not legally suppose to say if a neighborhood is safe or not. But there are some fantastic tools that you can utilize to determine if the neighborhood is a fit for you or not. Trulia has a great crime map that you can put in an address and see activity in specific areas. You can also inquire at local police stations as well. A great way to determine if a neighborhood is a desirable place for you to call home, is to go at different time of the day and week. Dive/walk during the day, night, weekends (great way to gauge parking) and so fourth. Hope this helps and happy house hunting!

... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 4, 2013
Alison Hillman answered:
Check out the local crime reports here on Trulia:

Ali, Community manager
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 5, 2013
Zinafudym answered:
i am trying to buy a BMR condo in sf nice location plz help :415-794-5607 my name is zina
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Seth Swenson, MBA answered:
Hayes Valley is one of the coolest and trendy neighborhoods in San Francisco and real estate there is appreciating there over the long run. Whether buying or renting there is a lot of competition and the property is typically not on the market for long. Below is an excerpt from an article about Hayes Valley which explains much of the success of Hayes Valley:

"The success of Hayes Valley's current commercial district was boosted in part by the destruction caused by the 1989 earthquake to the Central Freeway, which had entrance ramps on Franklin and Gough streets. The freeway was an eyesore and created noise pollution that kept businesses and foot traffic away. Not long after that part of the freeway came down, the community began to transform, and commerce moved in."

Please call me if you want to Buy or Sell property in Hayes Valley.

Thank you,

Seth Swenson
Broker Associate at Prudential
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Sharon C answered:
Parking can be tough. When I lived there, I rented a garage so I didn't have to deal with it. That being said, you can find parking, but it's likely going to be a meter, 1 hour or 2 hour parking. The thing is, they keep making the 2 hour parking take up more of the day. When I moved in it went till 6PM, now it goes to 9PM. Be sure to look at the signs. ... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Sharon C answered:
In 2007, I moved from LA to Hayes Valley, and I think it was a perfect SF newbie neighborhood. It's centrally located, easy to get downtown (21 bus), a 12 minute walk to Market Street/Bart. Waking distance to other great neighborhoods like the MIssion, Lower Haight, NOPA, Fillmore, and Japantown.

There's tons to do on Hayes Street which is full of boutique shopping, restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and a few bars. It's lively, fun, and friendly. I loved having stuff to do just outside my door. There's a sweet little park on Octavia where people bring their dogs, kids, and picnics. Recently the city has installed some popup trucks/trailers with ice cream, a butcher, and Ritual Coffee. If the arts are your thing, then you can walk to the Symphony, Opera, theatres, and Asian Art museum.

Hayes Valley does have it's share of section 8 housing, so caution should be taken when parking and walking at night. That being said, I lived literally across from one complex for 4 years and never had a problem.

All in all, I would highly recommend Hayes as a place to live for San Franciscans new and old.
... more
2 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 25, 2011
Trulia asked:
What did you wish you knew before moving here?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 25, 2011
Trulia asked:
Is this area safe or dangerous? What types of crimes are committed? Are there any intersections or streets that should be avoided?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 24, 2011
Jessica Waterston answered:
Hello Liz,

I am the listing agent for 534-536 Octavia St. I just want to let you know we are scheduled to close escrow this Friday, July 29th.

The good properties sell quickly, often with multiple offers, like this one. If I can be of service to you, please let me know.

Sincerely yours,
Jessica Waterston
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 4, 2011
Rich Bennett answered:
Hey there-

Yes, like with any multi-unit living situation, whether a TIC or condo, you may have HOA dues. This is determined by the group/HOA.

It's always best, as a prospective buyer of a TIC, to talk with a qualified attorney to get better persepctive as to the pros and cons.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call or email.

Rich Bennett - 415.305.4911 cell

Zephyr Real Estate
2500 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94114

... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Thu May 12, 2011
Greg Bryan JD/MBA answered:
There are some special rules regarding foreign buyers when you are ready to sell your property around FIRPTA (see below). Depending on your income level, which if you are looking for something in San Francisco is probably on the higher side, you should also probably consult a tax advisor and possibly an attorney as depending on which country you are from can affect how you will want to hold property in the United States.

Also depending on if you are married or not there is a "death tax" that can kick in if a spouse dies that affects foreigners differently than US citizens. This is important as if you or your spouse dies and holds title of the property, there can be significant tax ramifications. Foreigners should consult an experienced estate planner.

Getting financing will also typically be an issue. Lenders will often time require 50% down or more but depending on which country you are from and what records you can provide you may be able to obtain traditional financing. Some countries have limits on what amounts of money can be transferred outside of the country. Also if you have a stock portfolio or other assets to use as security there are other financial options available.

FIRPTA ((Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax) rules can be summarized as there is a 10% withholding by purchaser when buying from a foreign seller. Residents and nonresidents alike are taxed in the U.S. on U.S. real property income and gains. There are some exceptions one of which is that if the purchase price is $300,000 or less and the purchaser is using property as primary home.

I know several specialists in San Francisco who specialize in mortgages, estate planning and tax advice for foreigners. If you want feel free to contact me and we can discuss in more detail.

Greg Bryan
(415) 640-4341
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 21, 2011
Kamal Randhawa answered:
Wed Jan 27, 2010
Lance King answered:

My understanding of your question is that you are looking to rent a room in someone else's house and be their roommate. If that is correct, Eric's advice to go to craigslist is right. Their website is -look under the Housing categoty for rooms/shared or sublets/temporary. If that is not your question if you clarify I'm sure we'd all be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Lance King/Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 17, 2008
Joy Liu answered:
Jed's answer below is a good one. You can also look online at You can also call them over the phone for the general process info. When I've called in the past, they suggested that I contact an architect who can put a plan together on what it is that I would like to have done so that it can be submitted to DBI for approval. Though a phone call may be easiest, you'll get more out of a direct visit to their offices. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Jed Lane answered:
You should contact Jeff Woo or have you realtor do it. He is an attorney thatworks with many of us on these issues. One way to approach the valuation is to find out how much it would cost to do a buy out of the tenent. Short of that ask yourself what it's worth to you to take on the issue. Put a dollar figure on it.
$50K $100K what would it be worth to you and what do you think it would be worth to you as a seller now and in the future to take on this problem.
Look for hope iin the next supervisorial elections, maybe we can change some of the se local laws. Also look at Proposition 98 which will do away with rent control as an unlawful taking of personal property by the goverenment.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Dec 30, 2007
Melanie Narducci answered:
I should also add for longer cyclical history you might find that on California Association of Realtors site; in terms of property values I'm just looking at the last 3 months to analyze comparable sales to determine fair market value. San Francisco Association of Realtors has published reports of historical data -- zip me an email at and I will need to dig around in my files to send to you. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice