Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Hancock County : Real Estate Advice

  • All0
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying0
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 32
Wed Dec 30, 2015
Alysse Musgrave answered:
Larry (below) has offered you a lot of good advice. I'd add that your credit score should be closer to 640 before you shop for a home. Interest rates are based on the lender's risk. The higher the risk to the lender, the higher the cost to the buyer. You'll save a lot of money by improving your credit score. And be sure to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you, not just a regular buyer agent. My company - HelpUBuy America - has agents in Houston who can assist you. I'll be happy to send an EBA your way.

Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You! Follow the links below.

Alysse Musgrave
Consumer Advocate
Exclusive Buyer Agent

Best selling author of Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You! US, Texas, and Spanish versions available.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 4, 2015
My NC Homes Team answered:
You're going to have to include the address your referring to or pull the property up and call one of the agents featured by it. No one reading this knows what your talking about.
I'd also encourage you to read the link I've attached below. The likelihood of your actually getting a good deal on a bank owned property are slim to none. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 15, 2015
miskit652 asked:
Fri Sep 5, 2014
Suzanne MacDowell answered:
Your loan officer is wrong. Call the HUD consultant and discuss with him. I bought my home with a full 203k loan and I switched contractors. The man has basically QUIT, this is not your fault. Call the contractor. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Aug 20, 2014
Tim & Julie Schnepp answered:
I am so sorry to hear that! It appears that this listing is currently off the market. If you are still searching for a realtor, please feel free to contact us. If you have a realtor, this is not intended as a solicitation. There are over 40 great homes in the Fortville area currently available: ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 21, 2014
James Abner answered:
If paying cash, have her put you on title as at least 1% owner, so you will qualify for the homestead exemption. Here in Indiana that will cut your taxes in half. If getting a mortgage, she will have to wait until after closing and quit claim 1% to you... same effect! Good Luck! ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 14, 2014
Simon Campbell answered:
To qualify for a traditional loan, you are going to need a minimum credit score in the 620 - 640 range though most require 680. USDA loans with a credit score of less than 580 are denied if you have been late on any payments. (Reference:

There are other loan programs out there that may accept less. One of these is FHA. FHA's website states: "Minimum credit score requirements for FHA home loans depend on which FHA loan product the applicant needs. Generally speaking, to get maximum financing on typical new home purchases, applicants should have a credit score of 580 or better. Those with credit scores between 500 and 579 are, according the the FHA guidelines, 'limited to 90 percent LTV'." (Reference:

What will really help you will be a good down payment. 20% is the normal but there are loans that require less - but the loan terms will not be as good either. Another option is a land contract or a rent to own situation. Both of these maybe a good move as a first home buyer.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 6, 2013
tadamson67 answered:
This property is located in Hamilton County. It is on the north side of 1000 North which is the dividing line between Hancock and Hamilton County. It has a McCordsville address still because this part of McCordsville is over the county line in Hamilton County. Several neighborhoods just north of 1000 North in Cambridge and Fox Hollow also have McCordsville mailing addresses but are located in Hamilton County and are in the HSE school district. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Oct 1, 2013
Steve Parsons answered:
Sometimes Trulia takes a bit to update. If the pictures from the MLS are not shown, the listing agent needs to upload them to Trulia.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Aug 22, 2013
Wendy Ault answered:
What is the address of the property you have a question about?
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 12, 2013
Tom McCollister answered:
Hopefully you've already found what you're looking for. If you haven't yet moved to the area. Feel free to contact me, and let me know how I can help.

Tom McCollister
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 14, 2013
randyjwilley09 asked:
We are very clean; Would also like to have a small dog but not deal breaker; want to stay around 700.00 month and would be willing to sign two to three year lease until we buy our own home
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 9, 2013
Kenya Ferrand answered:
Hello Roofer24!
You have a verity of options

1. Visit the county recorder's office or the assessor's office. Ask what maps are available for public viewing that include your neighborhood and street. Request a copy of any maps that show clear dimensions of your property lines.

2. You can also call out a land surveyor. Hire a surveyor if you do not have a survey. A surveyor is a professional who can measure and map the property lines for you. The surveyor will mark the lines at the corners with stakes. Be present when the surveyor comes to measure your property, so he can point out where the property lines are. The cost of a survey varies depending on your location, property value and lot size.

3. Check your deed. The deed contains a description of your property's measurements and boundaries in words. Measure from the landmarks in the description to the property lines. Mark each corner with a stake or other marker. Measure from each stake to the next all the way around your property to ensure the measured lines match the deed.

4.Check the official website for the assessor's office in your municipality. Some assessors have mapping tools available online for all of the real estate in the area.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 2, 2012
lizzaroo answered:
No. That excess would have been yours only if you had not gone into foreclosure and sold it for yourself. The bank will sell for more if they can as they lose on many properties, so if they gain then it evens out for them. ... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Oct 22, 2012
greyanatomy101 answered:
We have a very pretty farmhouse on county road near Straughn. Call ERA in New Castle and ask for Susan Neal.[0]=&xsearch[2]=&xsearch[1]=Straughn%2C+IN&query=city_state.eq.Straughn%2C%20IN&refno=1504&srctype=realestate_detail ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 3, 2012
Josh answered:
I prefer hardwood, but carpet is nice for families with kids.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice