Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

97030 : Real Estate Advice

  • All10
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying5
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 9
Mon Feb 1, 2016
K9lvr asked:
This mobile home at 2980 NE Division St. SP#49 Gresham, OR 97030 was SOLD in October of 2014. Please update your records to reflect this fact. Too many people are stopping by to ask about…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 11, 2015
Jules Mikalson answered:
If you are in Oregon check out the Oregon Bond Loan Program, for which State funds should renew in July, and you could ask to be pre-approved now to close in early July. If a Veteran, go with the VA Loans first. Pacific Islanders and other persons of color might find extra opportunities by going thru a non-profit Portland Housing Agency orientation. Hacienda and the Portland Land Trust are other good options for the right families. Don't give up--at least get into a down-payment matching program, tp make sue you save the most possible for a loan down payment.. Good Luck! ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 14, 2014
Val Damico answered:
I would recommend contacting a local realtor and him/her walk you through the process. However there are a couple steps that must be taken in order to get you a home.

1. Consult a Mortgage Profesional for a pre approval letter
(try to stay away from big banks) (go with a mortgage bank)
2. Consult a Realtor
(contact you local top brokerage and work with someone who is credible and who has been selling homes in that area for at least year)
3.Find a home, place a bid (offer to purchase agreement)
4.Depending on you state laws, get an attorney to draw up contracts
(some states allow for Realtors to draw up contracts)
5. get a home inspection done
6. Sign Contracts
7. Appraisal
8. Closing Date

Roughly this is the timeline for a home purchase, of course its simplified to make it look stress free, but if you have the rite Realtor it will be a smooth transition.

All the Best
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 29, 2013
Tom Inglesby answered:
Tell the land lord up front before you pay the $45 credit check. I took bad credit because they explained their situation and they had 8 years renting same house. Good luck. Tom inglesby ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Dec 10, 2012
Shane Milne answered:
Like others have pointed out, FHA loans can be used for 1-4 unit properties. However when you are financing a 3 or 4 unit property, FHA requires the property to be self-sufficient AND the homebuyer must have 3 months of the proposed housing payment (Principal, Interest, Taxes, and Insurance, Mortgage Insurance, Homeowners Association Fees) in reserves (checking, savings, 401k, etc.) after closing.

What that "self-sufficient" part means is that the maximum mortgage payment for 3 and 4 unit properties is limited so that the ratio of the monthly mortgage payment divided by the monthly net
rental income does not exceed 100%. The appraiser will provide an addendum to the appraisal called a "rental survey". The rent from the rental survey of all units (even the one that is being occupied by your son), minus the appraiser’s estimate for vacancies or 15% (whichever is greater), must be at least how much the proposed housing payment would be. So hypothetically, if the rent from each unit is $1,000 and the appraiser's estimate for vacancy is 13%, then the 15% figure would be used, and the total net rental income would be $3,400/mo. The new housing payment could not be any higher than $3,400/mo.

In higher cost areas (Los Angeles, Boston, New York), that will sometimes create a larger down payment than FHA's required 3.5%... but in lower cost areas, such as Gresham, a 3.5% down payment should still be possible. It's all relative to the sales price & how much the market rents are.

Since FHA doesn't require someone to have previous landlord history in order to use rental income to qualify, if any of the other units are occupied with renters, then that rental income can be used to help your son qualify for a higher sales price than $150k (if he so desires).

If you'd like to discuss further questions I'd be happy to help.

Shane Milne | Lending in all 50 states | NMLS #81195
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 13, 2012
Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner ~ Exclusive Buyers Agent ~ ABR, CEBA answered:
This is a legal Landlord / Tenant question. Real estate agents don't practice law. Call the Oregon State Bar Association for a referral to a real estate attorney. I think the fee for a consult is $35. Ask an attorney. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 8, 2011
George Raymondo answered:
Denny is 100% correct. Unless you want to put down 20%-30% ( or 10% down for FNMA Homepath REOs) for going non-owner, the best option would be have your fiance finance the other purchase in her name therefore requiring a minimum down payment versus a large down payment. Plus I always counsel with my borrowers to always try buy independently of one another if possible for several oblivious reasons but it just a good idea to insulate you from issues that could arise due to a future financial hardships or unfortunately a divorce.

Best of Luck!
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Search Advice