Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Goleta : Real Estate Advice

  • All39
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying16
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 27
Mon May 29, 2017
Rblanch222 answered:
Cancel your listing agreement asap! Call the board of Realtors in santa Barbara if he doesn't respond asap!!
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat May 27, 2017
Randy Carson answered:
Check out The Loop apts. VERY close to campus. Terrific.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Oct 14, 2016
Rich Reed answered:
What does your contract say? Generally if the buyer cancels in good faith using a contract contingency, you are not entitled to the earnest money deposit.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun May 24, 2015
Sheryl Arndt answered:
Hello Unknown, what is it that you are complaining about or inquiring about? You are listed as an Unknown agent inquiring in "Home Buying in 93111 zip code?" This questioning does not make sense. Please delete this question...

Do you need real estate or mortgage advice, please let us know.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 27, 2013
mikewong2319 answered:

I am currently in a rental house that that is next to and overlooks an organic farm. The house itself is not part of the farm, but it's really close. :-)

Not sure if you are looking for a house that is actually ON the organic farm or near it. If it's the latter, the house I'm in is available to rent beginning 11/15/13.

The house is listed here on Trulia.

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 11, 2013
JR Thrasher answered:
I wrote a blog about "Finding Foreclosed Homes on Trulia" just last week. I'll put a link in the web reference. That should answer all of your questions.

J.R. Thrasher
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 9, 2013
JR Thrasher answered:
Click the link in the web reference to access the HUD/FHA website to search for condos on the approved list.

J.R. Thrasher
1 vote 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 8, 2013
Irina Karan answered:
Hello Sharon,

The best area to find out the exact procedure of "reconverting" or "legalizing" the garage conversion is with the city. Sometimes, there is "grandfathering" and they even tax the property as if the house was built without a garage. Sometimes, you have a certain time period to bring the place "up to code".
Yet, there are times, when you do have to pay fines - normally, when the owner disregards all notices from the city for a very long time. After such a long time, there could be potential liens on the property, put by the city, running at $100/day. Any bills like that could be negotiated down as the city is interested in resolution of the conflicting situation. The lien is not on the owner, it is on the property.

The best course of action is to hire an architect/structural engineer - possibly the one known to the city as a reliable professional. The architect prepares the plans and a licensed contract fixes the issues, and you are good to go.

Cooperation with the city yields good results!

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 8, 2013
Irina Karan answered:
Re. cracks - some are pretty innocent and have to do with normal settlement of the house.
In most settlement cases, the cracks will be stable, meaning the house settled at some point in time and the cracks won't develop at all or at the tiny rate, and mostly those that are already there.
In the case of normal settlement cracks, you can chisel them making a letter V (if you look from the side), then fill them with the cement mixture, level, and you can paint them over with a special paint (ask Home Depot or Loews specialists in paint) - to protect the house from insects colonizing it.

Other cracks have to do with structural issues, which need to be checked by a structural engineer, not a contractor. The engineer will calculate if the house was built correctly, with appropriate beams (sizewise) f.e. Sometimes, there could be foundation problems (some fixable and some to stay away from). The engineer will charge for his visit and calculations - but it is worth every penny!
You do want to have a peace of mind while living in the house, and you want to maintain it too prevent any future problems - so the structural engineer's visit will help a great deal.

There also could be seismic cracks, if you live in CA.

In any case, also check fro radon gas.

General contractor will help to give you estimates of how much the repairs could be, better than the home inspector (unless the home inspector is also a general contractor currently working as such).

I'd use 3 quotes to get a good idea of the real pricing.

Regrading is a very good idea - but you also need to check for the flood zone or flood preservation potential issues (in the city). The city may or may not allow regarding, or they could need an engineering plan of what would need to be done.

Based on this inspection report, and if it was not an "as is" contract, negotiate the price down!

Best of luck,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat May 25, 2013
dlhreh asked:
This is a manufactured home.

This question was asked from this property:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 30, 2013
JoAnn Pomatto-Gomez answered:
Jon Perkins response below is absolutely correct. Once the property has an accepted offer by the seller it is "marked" pending in the MLS with a contingency on lenders approval, continue to market and show the property until that approval is made by lender. Lender can sometimes take several days for approval depending on their work load. Short sales require a lot of patience from both buyer and seller. The process can be grueling and long. However, beneficial to both parties in the end. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 28, 2012
Cindy Davis answered:
As others have stated, if a foreclosure is not sold at a trust sale, it usually is listed with a Realtor and put on the MLS. Ask a Realtor in your community to send all the foreclosures listed in a certain area.

Once foreclosures are on the MLS, you essentially buy them as you would any other home .

Best of luck.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 10, 2012
Venturelli Group answered:
Unfortunately there are no Single Family Homes in Goleta nor Santa Barbara South County in this price range. However you will be able to purchase a nice 2-3bed / 1-2bath Mobile/Manufactured Home for under $200,000. And occasionally a 2bed/1bath condo becomes available in Goleta for ~ $200,000. The Lompoc housing market does support your needs though. Let me know how I can additionally help and have a joyful day!

Gabe Venturelli
Santa Barbara's Realtor
(805) 680-5141
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Victor Trujillo answered:
Sun May 13, 2012
Don Tepper answered:
If it's a tear-down, then it'd just be the value of the land.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jan 6, 2012
iNSITES answered:
Hi Lauren-

The greater Santa Barbara/Goleta area has seen strong sales below $1 million over the past several months. Inventory levels are low and that, combined with very low interest rates, make a compelling argument that now would be a good time to sell. Just be sure to price your home properly.

The forecasts I've read call for increased interest rates in 2013 which will make buying less affordable and continue to put pressure on housing prices, so even if demand stays high, don't expect much, if any, increase in prices.

There are positives and negatives to renters. If you have great ones with nice furniture and flexibility for showings they would be a positive, but it's just as easy to find renters that would clutter the house too much or make showings difficult, so it's probably safer to have the home vacant. There are professional house sitters that live in homes that are on the market though I'm not sure if condos are possible.

Please contact me directly if you need a referral to an agent that specializes in your price range and area.

Best regards,


Jon Perkins
Village Properties
(805) 284-3660 direct
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Oct 17, 2011
Rich Bosselmann answered:
I would take into consideration, the state of the market when you decide to list your condo, how long is it taking comparable units to sell and at what price .You are somewhat limited to the comparable sales prices in your complex. Weigh these variables and decide if the staging will give you either, the faster marketing time or the increased sales price that make it worth the expense. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 6, 2010
Michael Barron answered:
Hi there Larry, The priced shpiwn here are the NOD. not the actual sales price. Most 1-2 bedroom homes in Goleta would be condo's . Homes are usually built with 3 bedrooms or more. Condo.s neae UCSB. low to high $ 200,000 range.

If you are actively looking please let me know and I can send you accurate information

Kind Regards
Michael Barron
First Team Real Estate
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 29, 2010
Ken Doss answered:
Hi J.,

I have a very generic "rule of thumb" that I've used for many years.

Lenders will give you a loan between 4.0 and 5.0 times your gross income. In your case, let's use an annual income of $55,000 and a factor of 4.5. The loan would be $247,500 (4.5 X $55,000). Now, place your down payment on top of the loan and you'll have the purchase price. You want to set aside some money for closing costs and the impound account so allocate $10,000 for the actual downpayment.

There you go. A purchase price somewhere in the $257,000 range. Use the suggestion from Cindi below regarding the search. Make sure you select condo and you'll need to select nearby communities (i.e., Goleta, Carp. ,etc.).

Ken Doss
Community West Bank
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Goleta Zip Codes