Would you recommend we replace worn carpet or put in laminate or hardwood floors before selling? Budget is tight due to job loss. Thank you.

Asked by Rose, Red Hook, NY Sun Sep 12, 2010

We were considering putting in bamboo flooring since we have geothermal heating/cooling and radiant heat in master bedroom. What other woods and colors are popular now with today's buyers?

Answers

13
St. Lawrence…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Rose,

I am quite familiar with the Red Hook market if by Red Hook you mean Dutchess and not Red Hook Brooklyn. Your listing agent (did you choose one yet?) is the best person to tell you if you should go with carpet, laminate or hardwood. They do this by examining your competition and recent sales and tell you what is selling.

Some other factors to consider are that you will not get back 100% of your costs especially if you are not doing the work yourself. You will be able to push your house to the top of the pile thereby increasing the probability of an offer.

You may also find that fixer uppers are selling better than completely remodeled homes. You may find that your home can not sell for as much as you hoped. Or you may find that buyers in your area want Bamboo floors. Regardless, this is not an answer this is easily solved on line without seeing the rest of the house, the neighborhood and performing a full analysis on your home.

If I can be of help, please let me know. We do cover and have listings in Red Hook.
Web Reference:  http://www.slpnyct.com
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Sep 13, 2010
Rose,

As a seller we would recommend minimizing your expense at the same time you improve your homes sale ability. Overall carpeting may be the best cost savings purchase and it still has appeal with most buyers while laminate flooring can be a "turn off" for some.

Carol Culkin, Agent, Leawood, KS
Sun Sep 12, 2010
While I agree that hardwood wins over carpet, the home and the condition of the carpet really needs to be evaluated before a Realtor can just give advice. As the homeowner, you might be your own worst critic. It's only natural that you feel a sense of pride and want the house to show well during the marketing period. However, if other homes in your price range have worse issues there probably is no need to replace the carpet at all. Let a Realtor tell you how your situation compares to the competition before spending the money.
Catherine Co…, Agent, Ulster, NY
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Hello Rose!
It depends on what kind of home it is. And what kind of look your home has taken on.
If it's modern maybe you can do oak flooring in a dark espresso stain.
If it's an older home maybe wide plank flooring would work better.
The bamboo sounds great as long as it suits your home.
I sell in your area and would be happy to come have a look and chat with you.
You can call me at my number below.
Catherine Cole
Direct / Cell: 845-489-5688
catherinecole1@aol.com
Associate Broker
Prudential Serls Prime Properties
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sun Sep 12, 2010
We no longer see the return on investments in updating a home that we used to. That being said, home purchases are emotional purchases and being well stated will shorten the time it takes to sell.

How worn is the carpet? Shabby is NOT chic...

I love the advise of the other Realtor who suggested you interview Realtors now and see what they say about updates and improvements.

If you need the names and contact information for any Realtors in your immediate area, let me know...will be glad to recommend some. Gail@GailGladstone.com
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Warren, NJ
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Watch your budget because it is highly likely that while the improvements you make will enhance the likelihood of selling and reduce the time it takes, you are unlikely to recoup your entire investment. Depending of course on the room, I'd say a nice carpet wins over laminate, and wood flooring wins over all, BUT wood is expensive. Have a couple of agents come in and pick their brain whiile they are in your home - use it as an opportunity to interview them as potential listing agents.

Location - Condition - Price

That's it - it's pretty simple really. But remember while price can cure everything, nothing can cure a pricing problem.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Rose,

You mentioned that you are working with a tight budget, with that in mind I think the first thing you should do is talk with a real estate agent, have he or she walk through the house and determine if flooring is really your biggest issue.

The point is you could install beautiful wood flooring but that alone will not sell the house.

To get more information regarding flooring visit a showroom. On-line some of these flooring companies also Blog about this very subject and the information is very useful.

If you decide to go with carpet or wood flooring always consult at least three contractors.

Although wood flooring is by far the most popular type of flooring these days, depending on other factors a neutral carpet could work as well.

Keep in mind you might install one type of floor and the new buyer might rip it out, you see flooring is a personal preference.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Rose
My advice is:
1. Have a Realtor evaluate your home and develop a range of suggestions, in order of importance, on things that you need to do to sell for top dollar.
2. In most cases, the key activities that you need to accomplish are: decluttering, cleaning, painting, re-personalizing, and staging. Most of these activities are ignored by most home sellers, and their homes take longer to sell, and sell for less than they might.
3. Professional photos are a must.
4. Your goal is simple - to be the best looking home in your price range and have the pictures to prove it. We have a listing owned by an artist, and she invested a lot of sweat equity to prepare her home for sale. She followed our directions to a "t". http://www.10609fernglen.com.
The buyers say "wow, it looks as cute as the pictures".

5. If you have a high end home hire a stager (see one of ours 10574kurt.com).

Only after analyzing all these aspects would I suggest looking at replacing flooring. If funds are limited, but them where they make the most impact.
Margaret Mon…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Hi Rose - I am a Realtor in Red Hook village (Mondello Upstate Properties, LLC at 7 West Market Street) I have been licensed for 14 years so have seen many homes in many different states. My experience is hardwood always wins. More & more I am finding people are allergic to carpet fibers. In fact, some homes are dismissed because of carpet. Hardwood is easier to clean and give the impression of a larger space. I would recommend having a reputable contractor (I recommend Dan Niekrewicz, Builtwell Builders, Inc. at (845) 757-5600 http://www.builtwellbuilders.com) ) come over & give you an estimate and then make the determination from there. You can always get the measurements of how much wood you will need and then order on line which is more affordable. The contractor can do the installation so you know it will be done properly. If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to call us anytime or better yet..stop into our office right in the heart of Red Hook village. We would love to assist you.
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Hard surface floors tend to sell better than "soft" surface floors due to allergies to carpet fibers not to mention a cleanliness factor. "Green" construction is definitely a hot button with today's buyers so if you swing it then I would recommend going with a bamboo floor--you will certainly get all of your money back + when you sell the home.

Best of Luck in the sale of your home!
Judi
Jim & Cas Wh…, , Dutchess County, NY
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Hi Rose -

That's a good question with no simple answer. As has been mentioned the decision has to be made based on the total picture. In general, hardwood floors win with most buyers over any kind of carpet. Bamboo is especially appealing to those who are green minded. Bamboo is also relatively inexpensive, especially if you can do the labor yourself. Lumber Liquidators has excellent prices. I just replaced our kitchen ceiling with T&G bamboo flooring with inlaid carbonized pieces and it looks super. Bamboo also wears quite well.

I highly recommend that you consult a real estate professional to determine how get the most 'bang for the buck' in any renovations you do before selling. I would be happy to consult with you as I am quite familiar with the Red Hook market area as well as the general Dutchess County market. Feel free to give me a call or send me an email.

<>< Jim
jim.whitlock@prudentialserls.com
Web Reference:  http://DutchessRE.com
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Not without seeing the home.

Here's the thing, Rose. Either a home is move-in ready, or it's a fixer. If there's anything to fix, it's a fixer! (Of course, there are degrees of fixer!).

If the only thing wrong with the home is the flooring, then, absolutely, that needs to be replaced. Most good flooring shops have designer/consultants who will come out and make good suggestions within your budget.

But if the home needs painting, some plaster or drywall work, has an old kitchen or bath . . . I'd leave the carpet the heck alone!

Kathy Weber, Agent, Temecula, CA
Sun Sep 12, 2010
Rose,

If you're "selling", you want to make your home appealing of course.

One thing to remember is that what ever your taste in flooring would be, may not be another person's preference.

Simply putting in standard neutral colored carpet should suffice. It'll make the home look and smell clean. It will also save you money!