I want to install a fireplace insert wood burning in my new house in franklin has anyone done this ? does it really effectively heat the house?

Asked by Jpdanny, Franklin, MA Tue Apr 12, 2011

also I love a real fire and real smell of a wood burning fire. but they waste is amazing and my new house is ALL ELECTRIC so I really want to have both a real fire place and real heat ,,,any suggestions? and are you satisfy with the heat it provides

Answers

11
Joe Arnao, Agent, Sanwich, MA
Sun Apr 17, 2011
Just spoke to a client who is installing a wood burning insert. $1,600.00 and it will heat 1,500 square feet. So it can be done.
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Wed Apr 13, 2011
You will be happy it does work and will save you money.
Tara Skinner, Agent, Jackson, TN
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Usually wood burning fireplaces only heat up the immediate area and not the entire house. A lot depends on the size of the house and the size and location of the fireplace.
Ken Chace, Home Owner, Seekonk, MA
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Our company has been selling and installing wood-burning fireplaces and fireplace inserts for over 10 years now. A lot of what is mentioned above is true; the layout and the efficiency of the insert are key to heating up the area you want to heat. Most inserts will act as supplemental heaters which will effectively heat the immediate area where the insert is installed, which is usually where you may spend most of you time in a living room area. If you have vaulted ceilings a lot of the heat will rise up and heat the 2nd level of the home if there is one.

NOTE: Open faced fireplaces will suck all the heat out of a home so you want to get an insert with a gasketed door that locks ans you have an air control knob on it.

Give us a call at 508-336-2600 at the Fireplace Showcase in Seekonk, MA. Web Address: http://www.thefireplaceshowcase.com Someone will be able to walk you though some of the options available with wood-burning fireplace inserts for you home . It's always best to come into the store with some pictures and maybe even a rough diagram of the layout near where the insert will be installed. Also, the opening height, width and depth of the fireplace is key to sizing an insert so bring that along too. We always send someone out the the home before we install an insert to make sure everything is going to work.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Tell whom ever you speak to here that Ken recommended that you contact us.
Springtime H…, , Asheville, NC
Thu Aug 18, 2011
Some good replies. There are a lot of variables in play here so actual results may vary. Unless you are using it a lot during the winter, I agree with Spirit in that you might actually be wasting more energy throughout the year. This makes the cost effectiveness of an expensive install and efficient unit (which is a must) be very tough to call. When not in use, seal up the flue as tight as possible because thats where you will waste most of your energy.

Unless your home is very drafty and you want extra moisture, steer clear of ventless gas/propane.
If your home is airtight, consider a unit with its own source of makeup air.
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Fri Apr 15, 2011
yes. a gas insert that is just a log for looks is one thing, but a closed system is more energy efficient and costs a lot more.
Jodi Selene, Agent, Albany, CA
Wed Apr 13, 2011
A wood burning fireplace insert can certainly heat up a home, depending on layout and size of your home (for example, if you have a large open room vs. smaller rooms with lots of corners - the heat will take a lot longer to spread out with many rooms).
However, I'd recommend buying the most efficient insert you can find. There's a list of EPA certified wood stoves. (Go to epa.gov and search) These will likely burn more efficiently and pollute less. Remember, burning anything - coal, wood, gas - leaves its mark on the planet. You'll want to keep your chimney clean, too, to avoid build up of creosote, and burn seasoned wood. Damp wood smokes more.
-Jodi Selene, LEED AP, Red Oak Realty, Berkeley CA
Kathy Stanka…, Agent, Franklin, MA
Wed Apr 13, 2011
Wood burning or pellet stoves can really throw the heat and signifiantly reduce your electric bill. Alot depends on the layout of your home and whether it is an open floor plan or not. Experiment with using your ceiling fans to kick the heat down from the ceilings and redirecting it. As a local Franklin Realtor, I have known some homes to use potpourri or candles to achive the scent they were after. You don't mention whether you have only one fireplace or not.
We had a pellet stove installed a few years ago and find it very efficient at heating our home and less mess than our former wood stove. Our oil use has gone WAY down too!
Royal Fireside in Mendon is a good resource to discuss the pros and cons of different stoves. They will take the time with you...

Kathy Stankard
Web Reference:  http://www.royalfireside.com
Scott Hulen, , 64068
Wed Apr 13, 2011
The real wood burning fireplaces vary greatly in efficiency ratings but the bottom line is they are difficult to regulate the amount of heat they produce, are somewhat messy and expensive to install. There are no real substitutes for a real fire but there are other options. Gas logs & fireplaces now can create a real look fire and provide 80% efficiency and regulate the room temperature with a thermostat and blower. Pellet stoves can also afford a good source of heat that can be regulated and not run you out of the house with only a minor mess. If heat is the #1 concern then I would go with the pellet stove.
Ellen Friedm…, Agent, Cambridge, MA
Tue Apr 12, 2011
Hi there - I have a wood burning insert in my living room fireplace and really love it. It does not heat the entire house (3 floors, 2200 sq. ft.) but it does a great job in a few rooms and is much more efficient than a regular fireplace. We also considered a pellet insert, which I think does an even better job, but did not like the appearance of the pellets burning--you see sparks instead of flames. The advantage of a pellet stove, according to friends who have one, is that you don't have to keep loading it, whereas with wood you have to keep feeding it logs. By the way, since the door will be closed you will not smell the fire. Good luck--whichever you get I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Ellen G. Friedman, Keller Williams Realty, ellengfriedman@comcast.net
http://www.ellenfriedman.biz
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Tue Apr 12, 2011
I have read studies about electric vs wood burning fireplaces and was surprised at the amount of heat that actually escapes out the fireplace chimney. Please consider Googling it before you make your decision. Our house has an electric someone converted before we bought it and sincerely wish it was wood burning as I like the natural smell and the "experience".
Best of luck, Please consider using a licensed & bonded contractor for the work so you have some recourse if something should go wrong.
Spirit