How well do homes with solar electric sell compared to those without?

Asked by Lschill3, Surprise, AZ Thu Oct 3, 2013

Answers

7
lapin2lapin, Home Buyer, Portland, OR
Wed Oct 16, 2013
We are specifically looking for a home with green features (solar being a great example) and find real estate search engines to be frustrating. None of the major real estate web sites have a way to add green criteria to a search, meaning we have to wade through hundreds of poorly matched houses to find one or two potentials in which the agent *may* have listed green criteria as a special feature.

I'm guessing this may be because green criteria aren't included in some MLS tick box form that agents have to complete when listing a home. A 20 year old electronic form that was based on a 50 year old paper form? As energy prices slowly creep up it sure would be nice to see MLS search functions allow buyers to focus on homes with sustainability features.

The most helpful of agents can't visit every home on the MLS; success all depends on what's included in the original listing. That's what makes including sustainability features on that MLS tick-box form important. Maybe some of you influential agents can start something. Please! There may be more of us buyers than you realize now, and there definitely will be in future.
Jeffrey Masi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Generally, if the home has the features and does not cost significantly more, the home sells better. Price is still more important.

Jeff Masich
HomeSmart
Scottsdale, Arizona
Craig Yace, Agent, Corona, CA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Just a quick addition to the great responses listed here. I'm in California but I don't think our market is that different, in terms of "Green Features". Everyone seems to want them but no one seems to want to pay for them :D

I hope that helps

Craig Yace
Re/Max Real Pros
BRE# 01357321
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Thu Oct 3, 2013
My new car has a homing feature.
Where ever I put this car, I can pop out my synced phone and find my car. Step by step I'm guided to the exact spot where my car is currently located.
-
Those who have never lost there car, won't apply much value to this feature.
Those who have tramped every level of the parking garage before realizing the took the bus to work, WILL value this feature.
-
How your home is marketed and to whom will determine the value of your solar features.
In all seriousness, there are only four things people buy. Those thngs are not tantible. We are deceiving ourselves beleiving they are. Your solar electric, to bring enhanced value, must establish this value through, benefits, results, outcomes and solutions. Prove one or all of these as they apply to your solar electric...and the real value will become crystal clear.
-
Failure to do so is the common exercise in futility of trying to recoop all of your 'updating and improvement' costs.

If you are serious, pick up the phone and call a Surprise AZ, real estate professional. Marketing, identifying the likely buyers, coupled with well developed marketing skills in messaging and appeals are the venues to communicating with the buyer you REALLY want. One who VALUES your homes attributes because it provides a solution, outcome, benefit and/or result they want.
-
Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727. 420.4041
Annette... you are an excellent writer. I totally enjoyed reading your response.
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Jeff Mason, Agent, Coeur d Alene, ID
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Here is an article you may be interested in as well.
Jeff Mason, Agent, Coeur d Alene, ID
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Homes with energy efficient features tend to attract buyers. With the high cost of energy, it is definitely an advantage. I have my clients put copies of their electric bill on the listing to show the savings! If you are thinking of listing, please take a look at my website to see what services I can offer you.
Jennie Miller…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Oct 3, 2013
This is certainly an attractive feature that buyers are drawn to.