Does your state offer Net Metering?

Asked by Cathy Bureau, San Antonio, TX Sun Apr 1, 2012

Ours does not. I'd like to know how it is working in other states.

Answers

2
, ,
Mon Apr 2, 2012
When I was in the Solar business, the term we used was co-generation policy...but I thought back then the Federal gov't adopted a law to allow it in all 50 states. I did a quick search, and I found this:

In the U.S.A., as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, under Sec. 1251, all public electric utilities are now required to make available upon request net metering to their customers.[2]:

‘‘(11) NET METERING.—Each electric utility shall make available upon request net metering service to any electric consumer that the electric utility serves. For purposes of this paragraph, the term ‘net metering service’ means service to an electric consumer under which electric energy generated by that electric consumer from an eligible on-site generating facility and delivered to the local distribution facilities may be used to offset electric energy provided by the electric utility to the electric consumer during the applicable billing period.

That sure sounds like all 50 states and DC too....
I would love to build my "dream" house with a water mill producing electic, however, after researching water energy, solar, wind...the truth is the pricing is just not there yet.
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Apr 1, 2012
Current as of June 2011 , only three states do not allow net metering, plus Washington D.C., twenty one have no limit on the number of subscribers using net metering. Only two, Arizona and Ohio, have no specific wattage limit on the power limit for each subscriber (see table). Colorado, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are considered the most favorable states for net metering