Budget friendly improvements to be a more environmentally-friendly home

Asked by Jake F., San Francisco, CA Thu May 24, 2012

I want to be as green as possible but I don’t know where to start. I don’t have a huge budget now, but would like to make small changes as I can. What are some low-cost improvements that will help my home be more green.

Answers

4
gabrielle b dahms’ answer
gabrielle b…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri May 25, 2012
There are both city and state programs in place to help you green your home but they still will take some money, at least initially. - Alternatively, go to a good hardware store, one that has knowleagable staff, explain to them what you're after and listen to their suggestions. You could also visit the Home Depot for that purpose. Implement those suggestions that make the most sense and fit within your budget.
Gregory Karr, , San Francisco, CA
Thu May 24, 2012
Making a home greener does not necessarily mean only adding improvements like solar and energy efficient appliances, caulking and sealing. You may want to start by removing toxic items such as paint, insulation, and asbestos. Keep up the good work.
Helen Yuen, Agent, Oakland Ca 94605, CA
Thu May 24, 2012
There is a wonderful SF City sponsored program to help make your home more energy efficient
with more than half the cost paid for by this limited time program that will help fund whatever your home needs for energy efficiency.

I have written a blog about it titled: Get Comfortable with Energy Savings! Rebates of up to $7000 or more to improve your SF Home's Energy Efficiency - apply now as program will end soon.

(Look for Helen Yuen's blog & call me to get a extra $500 additional credit towards this great opportunity to upgrade your home).

You will come out a winner because it will have cleaner air, use less energy and have a greater home value. Program phone: (415) 355-3769

Helen Yuen, Land & Property Investments, Inc helenyuen@lpirealtor.com (415) 469-0577
Find out how much is your property worth * Buy * Sell * Pre-qaulify
Robert Ernst, Other Pro, Reno, NV
Wed Jul 18, 2012
Jake, Being green means different things to most people. Some of the best advice I can give you as an Energy Auditor is start saving by reducing. Reducing your consumption is the easiest way to save and be greener. This doesn't have to be just energy it can be anything. The next thing is use what you have. Buy quality items and materials and keep them around and when they have to go recycle, reuse, find an alternative to sending it to the dump. Use paints, cleaners, and even furniture that are more environmentally friendly.

For the home itself reducing consumption is good also. CFL and LED lights are a good option especially for the lights you use often. Low flow toilets, shower heads and aerators are inexpensive. Programmable thermostats are another good option. Keeping the heating, cooling and water heating equipment serviced is inexpensive every few years. Sealing air leaks is always worth wild. When in doubt hire an Energy Auditor like myself.