Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Glenview : Real Estate Advice

  • All98
  • Local Info8
  • Home Buying37
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions7

Activity 86
Mon Aug 23, 2010
John Spytek answered:
Give me a little more info and I'll help - various factors come into play for "average price per square foot" - number of bedrooms, lot size, age of home, style (ranch / 2 story / etc) - also using average can skew the data you might wish to consider the median instead. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Aug 20, 2010
Edith Karoline Jasser answered:
Hi Bill, something went wrong and my answer ended up in the wrong post.... so here it is again.... Sorry about that...

Edith Karoline,...
Hi Bill Gunning,
This is quite an interesting question, except hard to answer as I am not sure what your interest in the answer is at the end. You say that you are just looking, and you show your location as Palatine. I want to assume (and correct me if I am wrong...) that you are currently living in Palatine and looking to buy property in Glenview, but you want to make sure that you buy the correct number of bedrooms for a future resale. Am I correct?

So if you want to get back to me to let me know why you are looking to get the a.m. information I will gladly provide you with the detailed stats available!

I am a Realtor working out of Glenview and I know Glenview very very well and I have been working with many
buyers and as a general information I can tell you at this time that a 4 bedroom home with 2 1/2 or more baths and a basement or a 1st floor family room is a good home size for families in Glenview.... but understand this is a general information, as price ranges, sizes of homes, ages of homes, floor plans and styles of home are as varied as possible in Glenview, there are many many much larger and more expensive homes as there are many
3 bedroom homes in Glenview as well....

So if you want a truly well informed answer to your question you may want to contact me and give me the background for your question, so that I can tailor the answer to your actual needs.... I would be glad to give you the
information you need at this time. No pressure, just useful information.

I can provide your with homes that have recently sold, as well as with homes currently on the market, which should give you a good insight into the Glenview market.

Hope to hear from you and good luck with your decisions.

Sincerely yours,
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 16, 2010
Dayle Lively answered:

There are currently 46 homes for sale in the $475,000-$575,000 range, with anywhere from 2-5 bedrooms. Since this is a buyers' market and the inventory level is high, it's possible to search at prices above the number you're targeting, as there should be more negotiating room than in hotter markets. Homes in Glenview are located within several different high school districts--Glenbrook, Maine, and New Trier. If you have a clear preference for one of those districts, then that's a good place to start. Otherwise, you might want to identify a style of house (i.e. split level, ranch, colonial or traditional, etc.) The placement of bedrooms can be important, also--many parents with small children want all the bedrooms on the same level. Lot size and level of updating are often important factors for buyers, too. If you let me know your criteria, I'd be happy to identify the top options for you. I'm currently working with a couple looking for a home in Glenview and we've been seeing a good variety of homes at attractive prices.


Dayle Lively
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue May 4, 2010
Peter Geo answered:
The property was sold to the plaintiff for $ 62,250.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Apr 3, 2010
Lfrostie answered:
There is a home that meets your criteria in excellent shape, 3 car gar, at1542 Bluestem Ln in Glenview.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 23, 2009
Larry Storck answered:
Tue Sep 22, 2009
David Cruickshank answered:

Have you considered a 203K rehabilitation loan to finance the home? It will allow you to purchase the home and do the rehab in one 30 year fixed loan. This may help you with your situation. I have written in detail about this loan and can hgelp you if you wish.

Please go to the references below to read.


David P. Cruickshank
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 9, 2009
Evan Kane answered:
Regarding Zillow, I stand corrected.
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 31, 2009
Edith Karoline Jasser answered:
Dear Mike,
Did the answer from the other Realtor satisfy what you were curious about?
If we were to know the exact address we could potentially give you a bit more insight, but basically the value/assessment of a new construction will go up, and consequently the taxes as well...

Feel free to e-mail me the address you are thinking about... if you like!

Also are you working with a Buyers Agent, i.e. a Realtor who is working with you and exclusively on your behalf in assisting you to find the right property for you in Glenview or elsewhere? If not I would suggest you do connect with a Buyers Agent. It does not cost you any expense, except your loyalty to this one Agent, to show you all properties, provide you with available properties that cover your needs & requirements and price range, accompany all showings, assist you in making your offer and negotiate the terms and final sale price on your behalf and in your very BEST interest. And thereafter your Buyers Agent will be at all events, like inspections etc. etc. and make sure that all goes well, and all parties involved in the contract will do all they need to do in a timely and responsible manner, so that it will lead to a successful closing for you....

If you are currently not committed to a Buyers Agent, I would love to assist you.... No pressure, just great service, detailed information and your one stop real estate resource center with answers to all your questions and concerns.

If you purchase a new property in Glenview, will you have to sell a property in Skokie? If so let me know where and I will forward a pre-market evaluation to you via e-mail, initially without home visit.

As far as your question is concerned does the purchase price affect the property tax, well would it not be nice, if the market changes and property prices decline, taxes on properties will follow. But chances are that this will not be the case, communities / towns do their planning based on incoming tax revenues, and chances that taxes will go down are slim in my view!

Taxes will be assessed based on amenities in the property, type of building (one story, two stories) and
3 car garage, fireplaces etc. etc.)

I hope this all helps you a little, and I would be looking forward to hearing from you if I could be of further assistance.

By the Way I have worked out of Real Estate Offices in Glenview for over 10 years and know Glenview and the surrounding suburbs (including Skokie) extremely well.

Edith Karoline - YourRealtor4Life!
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients!
Century 21 SGR
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 13, 2009
Mike_fl answered:
Thank you for all the input. I did speak to a real estate attorney and it seems that the matter is a bit more complicated than I initially thought. Due to the type of the contract we used to prepare an offer (basically it is a standard form with no contingency on the lien holder accepting it), the best course of action is for the real estate attorney to engage and modify the contract in such way that the review period starts from the date of lien holder approval.

Anyway, need to do some thinking whether or not it is worth the time and money.

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 13, 2009
Mary Anne asked:
800 Becker Rd.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 4, 2009
Bill Eckler answered:

Keep it clean and with your own real estate professional.

Good luck
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon May 4, 2009
Sj209 answered:
You can get a second opinion to be sure it is an active mold problem and if verified move on. It could cost a fortune to eliminate an active mold and water issues in the basement.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Feb 28, 2009
Kathy Diegel answered:
Hi Gretchen,

Tell me the address and I will get the sold price for you.

Kathy Diegel
Coldwell Banker
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 28, 2009
Kathy Diegel answered:
Hi Sue,

You didn't include a property link or address with your question. Let me know what property it is and I'll get the price for you.

Kathy Diegel
Coldwell Banker
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Feb 21, 2009
Kathy Diegel answered:
The real estate spring starts in January. That's when my phone starts ringing off the hook to list people's homes. They list in the very beginning of the year in hopes of selling by the end of the summer. A majority of the homes are now listed so you shouldn't wait too much longer.
Just so you know websites likeTrulia and are not an up to date way of searching for homes. The really good homes are sold before they even get onto these websites. The best source for your search is the MLS. This is available on a lot of agent's websites but you have to register first to use their property search. On my website you can search the MLS for free. If you see any homes on my website that interest you let me know and I can show it to you at your convenience day or evening.
Let me know if you have any questions I'm happy to help!
Kathy Diegel
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Oct 23, 2008
Wayne Beals answered:
Check with an attorney.

I would imagine that habitability is part of any municipal residential rental ordinance.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 28, 2008
Greg answered:
You could have checked for mold presense before you moved in. If you are concerned, you should consider moving.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Aug 21, 2008
Mark Roncone answered:
Try going to this link or calling 847 724-1700.
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 4, 2008
Inspector Michael J. Savage answered:
This is above what a home inspector can/should do. Hire a plumber to test the system with air. They'll cap off all openings and pump air into the system to a specific pressure and put an air pressure gauge on it. Then they re-check it after 24 or 48 hours to make sure it hasn't lost any pressure. -Inspector Mike Savage ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5
Search Advice
Glenview Zip Codes