Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in Glendale : Real Estate Advice

  • All100
  • Local Info10
  • Home Buying26
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 12
Sat Apr 9, 2016
Me asked:
Fri Dec 11, 2015
Rich Reed answered:
I had the same issue. The data often comes from the tax assessor's official records. Check (or have your Realtor check) the info on the assessor's site. Mine was incorrect, so I filed a "Property Data Change Request" form with them (Los Angeles County, in my case). They sent someone out to verify the information (4 baths instead of 3) and updated their records. It can take awhile for them to process it. When you list your home for sale with a Realtor, he/she will input the data, which may be different from the assessor's, into the MLS and this should be what is displayed on internet sites like Trulia. It is still best to get the info changed at the assessor's office, though.

Here is a link to the Los Angeles County form:
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 6, 2015
Becky Juergens answered:
You can demand anything you want. Unfortunately a demand does not mean you will get it.

The details might determine the viability of asking for repairs.

What kinds of repairs? How much money involved? When did you find out about the problem(s)? Was it something that the seller knew? Was it disclosed? Did the seller live in the home? Did you do an inspection?

Some sellers such as a bank are exempt from disclosures because they do not have direct experience with the home or live in the home. When we settled the parents estate we were exempt from disclosures, but chose to disclose what we knew.

Unless its hundreds of thousands dollars its not likely worth suing. A lawsuit would be costly and it easily could cost more than the repairs. A lawsuit would likely take years and be the focus of your life with no guarantee that you would win or even get your attorney fees paid.

Suing usually means proving that the seller knew and didn't disclose. This is harder than it sounds.

You could try small claims. However the time allotted per case is small which could make it difficult to prove your case.

An attorney could advise you on the viability of the case both in small claims and superior court.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 13, 2014
Lina Sarkissians answered:
With For Sale By Owner properties, it is up to the Seller to agree to work with buyer's agents. Therefore, when the agent calls for an appointment to bring their buyer in, you should be clear on that so there are no mishaps later.
At that point, the agent can discuss it with their buyer to find out how he/she will get paid. This will also clarify the offer on the contract.
Good luck!
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 26, 2013
Ed Castellanos answered:
Good morning Michael my name is Ed Castellanos KW Realty Glendale Ca. i'm an investor friendly realtor that focuses on wholesaling and working with cash buyers. Are you looking for a connection in Los Angeles? ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jun 22, 2013
Amelita Bautista answered:
I have been a Realtor for over 30 years, and have joined a few real estate companies in my career,
but definitely will advice a new agent especially, to join a Keller Williams office for excellent and on going training. I have never seen a company so consumed with improving their agent's professional growth and productivity, than Keller Williams Realty. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon May 7, 2012
Ruth and Perry Mistry answered:
Hi Maggiegatmaitan,

A short sale is when a property sells for less than what the outstanding loans are.

Hence, say a person bought a home for $1 about five years ago with 10 cents down
and borrowed 90 cents. Hence, the loan amount is 0.90 cents

Today lets say the property is worth 60 cents.

Hence, if the seller sells today, the seller is short at least 30 cents plus sales costs and any other dues that have not been paid.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions or refer you to.

... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 14, 2012
Jonathon Villaescusa answered:
The market for the next 10 years easily will compare to this; remember when you were a kid and you could skip a stone across water? The market will copy that exactly for the next 7-10 years with these small fluctuations of homes going up and down in value.

Don't expect the market to turn around any time soon. Around the 10 year mark we should see real equity in home values going up gradually.

Jonathon Villaescusa
Excellence Real Estate
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 8, 2011
Ralph Hudson answered:
Your real estate agent and his/her broker as supposed to be working for YOU and looking out for your best interest. If the broker is aware of the problem and not willing to resolve the issue then get away from that real estate agency and find a true professional to handle your property.

Your listing agreement hopefully has a clause written into it whereby you can cancel your listing with a written notice without penalty. Give then a written notice that you are taking your listing elsewhere. There are plenty of Realtors that would be glad to represent you and your interest and work for you in getting your property sold.
... more
0 votes 74 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 8, 2011
Demi Fox answered:
make sure that if your lender agree to a short sale, to add a paragraph that stepulate that they will accept the pay off amount agreed for the short sale as a full payment and that they will not pursue you for the balance of the loan. Although the new law passed July 11th, 2011. I like to make sure that my sellers are safe and want to see such disclosures in my short sale approval letter.
You also want to make sure that the buyers have reserved to most likely cover about 10% of the loan amount (your second/HELOC)
Good Luck
Demi Fox & Associates
Real estate consultants and short sale specialists
Thousand Oaks CA
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 6, 2011
Marc White answered:
Both the Seller and Buyer would have to agree to this change...but consult your real estate agent (who may have you contact an attorney). If you both agree you can terminate the contract without a lot of work, but I am sure that you would rather just purchase the home. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Joseph Keresztury answered:
Best advice would be to consult a local CPA to find out the actual Tax factors and what you can do.

But from what I can see it looks like your brother and law should be worried about the taxes... if he ends up selling the house with all the equity you are giving him. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Search Advice