why is there a place called sanislo?

Asked by June, Seattle, WA Thu Jan 15, 2009

Answers

2
Mary Sunde, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Fri Jan 16, 2009
Patrick
Kudos to you for your excellent history lesson. Thank you.
Mary
Patrick Beri…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Here's the whole story behind Capt. Sanislo:

Captain Steve Sanislo, a kindly, mild‑mannered man from a West Seattle station who had been with the Seattle Fire Department since 1909, was extremely bothered by the children he had seen perish in fires over the years. During the 1920s he developed a program about fire safety for children and, on his time off, he appeared before grammar school classes to present his act. The kids loved him! Each year he reached more and more children. Eventually Chief Mantor was able to obtain a budgeted position for him to work full time on his school program. Captain Sanislo continued to present his programs until his retirement in the mid‑ 19 50s. Many of today's adults can recall the Captain as their earliest and most vivid recollection of contact with the Seattle Fire Department. The number of persons alive now because they had recalled his much‑stressed "keep the bedroom door closed!" advice cannot be tallied. His work has been carried on with the creation of the Public Education Section of the Fire Marshal's Office. Today's programs are created and presented by Inspector Jim Sherman, one of the editors of this book. But tribute must also be given to others who superbly handled the job over the years, such as Rick Friedt, and Rockne Copple with his hit performances as "Mr. Bumblesbee," and the artists who created the films and props. Captain Sanislo died March 20, 1962, but the work of this very dedicated fire fighter was honored when the Seattle Public Schools built a new facility at 1812 Southwest Myrtle Street, naming it the "Stephen E. Sanislo Elementary School."
Hello there, happy new year!!! Rockne Copple was my father and passed away in 1999. As a child I recall at one point my father playing the role of Mr. Bumblesbee.....evening attending my grade school with Rick Friedt ( a good friend of my family). I have been trying to find a picture of my father in his fire fighting gear to print and give to my oldest daughter who has recently passed her EMT exam. If anyone reads this and has any connections that might help me to do this...please respond. My email is snotuck@gmail.com. My father was stationed in Seattle Wa (39's) I believe....they rotated him all over different areas, Downtown Seattle, Greenwood, Ballard, Northgate. I am proud to be Rockne's daughter.......
Flag Fri Jan 2, 2015