when renting a property do the landlords check your rental history or credit background, do they verify with your landlord if you have?

Asked by rcgray60, Missouri City, TX Wed Oct 24, 2012

im trying to get from under my landlord cause she is very to high on a 4 bedroom should i break the lease and find something affordable. or will that mess me up for renting again

Answers

2
Kevin Read, , Fort Bend County, TX
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Yes. Most all landlords and owners will check your background unless you have a very good credit rating and a large amount of liquid assets. With that said some will adjust their requirements depending on your situation. The first question I would ask is why are you leaving and getting out from under your current/past lease? Why not stay until the lease ends? I would also ask if you spoke with them about breaking the lease early and reducing the penalty you would pay. Realize that some landlords and owners are picky while others are not provided your situation can be explained rationally. I just placed someone in the military with bankruptcy on their credit but his situation was somewhat unique. Three agents he spoke with before me told him to forget about renting a house and looking at apartments. Long story short find advice from someone that actually works in the property mangement business, don't trust just any Realtor/Landlord/Owner.

We manage over 100 homes in Southwest Houston and have done so for over 15 years so if you need any help or advice feel free to contact us.
thanks for your response my landlord is extremely high im really trying to find something affordable dont have but a few months left. on the lease
Flag Thu Oct 25, 2012
Sabrina Ash, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Owners of private rentals and apartments, in most cases will do both, check your credit, employment and rental history. If you have a broken lease on your record, it could cause you to get declined from getting a rental and/or also pay higher deposits when looking to lease again. Just wondering, were you represented by an agent via a buyer/tenant representation agreement, to help you obtain your lease? And if so, were you provided with a comparative market analysis to show you the going rents in that particular area? There are some apartments out there that will work with a broken lease, but it must meet their critieria. When looking to rent again, it is important to be honest about your situation and it would help if you write an explaination letter. If you would like help looking for an apartment or another rental, please feel free to contact me.