whats the penalty for adding stove and sink in my in law aparment without permit

Asked by Dora Scott, Daly City, CA Thu Jul 31, 2008

Answers

4
Jeff Kim’s answer
Jeff Kim, Agent, Blackhawk, CA
Wed Oct 13, 2010
I guess you can tell from the responses below-it just simply is not worth it. In fact, I knew someone in Daly City who did just what you are asking and they were discovered by the City. They had to rip it all out at their own expense.
Nicholas O'D…, , Exton, PA
Fri Aug 1, 2008
You wil also face issues if you want to sell. Your town may require occupancy permit for the new owners, and all work completed in the house will need to have been permitted. Getting a retro active permit is not possible, you would have to demolish, rebuild and repermit.
Its usually easier to get the permit in the first place to avoid many issues.
Karin Cunnin…, , San Bruno, CA
Fri Aug 1, 2008
Sove? Big problem. Sink? Not so big problem. Its a safety issue with the stove because your fire insurance will not cover any damage caused by an illegal stove. If your inlaw is legal, on the other hand, which usually they are not, then you might apply for a permit!
Fiona Santos, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Thu Jul 31, 2008
Hi Dora,

If you get reported for having an unwarranted kitchen, the city will have you demolish it which is a big hassle and can get very expensive. To fully know the extent of the penalty, I suggest you call the Daly City Buiding Inspection Division. I can email you their number if you want. My email address is fiona@fionasantorealty.com