Question removed

Asked by manny m., Gwinnett County, GA Mon Jan 19, 2009

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

9
Lorie Gould, Agent, Duluth, GA
Mon Jan 19, 2009
You can go to http://schools.ajchomefinder.com/compare_schools?choices=660… which shows a side by side comparison of the schools you specifically mentioned. You can also see the rankings of all high schools in Georgia by clicking on http://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/schoolrank.aspx?level=3.

I personally moved from North Fulton where my daughter who graduates this year went to Chattachoochee to an up and coming area this year at the border of Gwinnett and South Hall. She is still attending a school of excellence. We made a decision to make a move for investment purposes to get in early on an area that is just beginning to blossom. We did not feel our daughters education would suffer. My daughter loves it. She is still graduating with honors and it has not affected her entry into college.

With all that being said, if you main priority is schools and making sure your child gets in the best high school possible based on rankings then you purchase in that high school district even if it means buying less home for the money. Lets take Walton High School for example. The High School itself has maintained and increased property values in its district. People will buy an older smaller home for the money to place their child in that school.

So resale value is affected by the schools to which the home feeds. Good schools help maintain value and help values increase. Most of the schools you mentioned are neck in neck with each other in rankings. Gwinnett will certainly give you more home for the money. Both North Fulton and Gwinnett offer a lot of recreation but I do feel that Gwinnett parks win over North Fulton parks. Depending on where you work and your desired commute than you may want to look at some other schools in Gwinnett also that are good schools with great neighborhoods feeding to them.

It would be my pleasure to assist you with your home search. As a native Atlantan who grew up in East Cobb, who lived in Alpharetta for 10 years, who now lives in the Gwinnett area I have lived, played, and continue to work both areas.
Web Reference:  http://www.HomesByLorie.com
Solomon Gree…, Agent, Duluth, GA
Tue Jan 20, 2009
Lchu,

Hank is an appraiser and a broker, so he has access to the same resources as we agents plus the added data associated with his role as an appraiser with regard to resale values. It's my humble opinion that homes in that price range can be found in all of the school clusters that you've listed, but a greater variety may be found in Gwinnett County (Northview and Chattahoochee High are very pricey areas of town). Please give some thought to Brookwood (Gwinnett), Roswell (Fulton), Alpharetta (Fulton), Riverwood, (Fulton), Milton (Fulton) and Chamblee (Dekalb) into your search too, where students have all scored above 23 on ACT scores. For more information on schools, please consider http://www.SchoolMatters.com.

Solomon Greene
REALTOR® / Consultant - Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Tue Jan 20, 2009
That's a little broad for comparision but overall Fulton trumps Gwinnett for that criteria in my opinion. You'll see a greater selection of homes at the price in Gwinnett but the values tend to be more stable with greater market activity in that part of Fulton. Schools are subjective and will vary based upon personal needs but again I give the nod to Fulton. I spend a ton of time in both areas appraising and selling and these are my opinions.

As Mac points out we're in a market where opinions and stats are often at odds. The challenge with all this is that no two parcels are the same so opinion and interpretation is always going be a factor - it is every day for me with the appraisal business. All that said and recognized I'm still saying Fulton with those schools and that criteria. If you get more specific, that opinion might change.

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
William M "M…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Mon Jan 19, 2009
Joshua I am curious what stats you use to back up your statement. If you were to compare one constant in both counties that would be zip code 30024. Comparing average home sale values for the 2 counties year vs year 2007 (January thru November) and 2008 January thru November) you would see that zip code 30024 in Gwinnett county showed a gain of 0.76% in value while zip code 30024 in Fulton county showed a loss of 3.52% in value. Please make certain to have your facts correct prior to giving advice.
Tim, Other Pro, Duluth, GA
Tue Jan 20, 2009
Fulton Schools are definately much better but taxes are slightly hihger and so are prices. I am selling a home in Fulton County ( FSBO) . Call me if you are interested. 678-642-3757
Lorie Gould, Agent, Duluth, GA
Tue Jan 20, 2009
I would absolutetly consider the Walton High School district in East Cobb. Although two years is not a lot of time it is time for newer schools to report their report cards giving you a better picture of the key areas to focus on.

Your son sounds remarkable and you certainly want to place him in a school system that will challenge him and offer him a variety of courses to challenge and further his education.

If you would like to email me your information, I would love to keep in touch and provide you with update school information.
manny m., Home Buyer, Gwinnett County, GA
Tue Jan 20, 2009
Thank you for the valuable information. I am currently living in VA, and is planning to move to GA in
summer 2010 so I have some time to look into the area. But it is hard for me to really get a feel of
what all the different areas are like even though I have visitied Fulton and Gwinnett county twice. After looking
at the school links that some of you sent me, maybe I should also add Cobb county's Marietta area and Brookwood HS area into consideration.
My son will enter 5th grade in 2010. He is currently in a German immersion program here
in the fairfax county public school. He is also in a gifted program, he loves science. I would really like to
pick an area that suits his education needs.
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Mon Jan 19, 2009
Lchu,

You'll get more for your money (price per square foot) in Gwinnett County and you'll get a more stable resale value in Alpharetta (N. Fulton). The schools you are comparing are in vastly different locations which makes the comparison tough.

If you'd like to discuss it further, contact me.
Web Reference:  http://www.gahomesdigest.com
William M "M…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Mon Jan 19, 2009
In my opinion you will get a lot more home for the money in Gwinnett. I would also suggest that you include Brookwood High School in you equation. The schools are going to be very close in comparison. Check out the Web Reference for school information.