my husband has a job offer in albany ga. i just read the reviews posted by people that live there....and frankley i am scared to death to move to ga

Asked by Laurie, Albany, GA Thu Jul 22, 2010

Answers

6
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Fri Jul 23, 2010
Greater "All-benny" is a pretty nice part of the Southeast, just don't buy any of that river bottom land near Radium Springs.

The neighborhoods northwest of the city, near the mall, are pretty nice.

You have small town, rural, extra-rural, somewhat suburban (since Albany is not that "urban") and some quaint historical choices both with farms and with downtown houses.

What are your reasons for being "scared to death?" This ain't Dachau...
Sylvia Phill…, Agent, Albany, GA
Fri Jul 23, 2010
Hello Laurie, I have to ditto Setphanie's comment. To have a job in this economy is a blessing. As a resident of Albany for over 40 years I have experienced a good lifestyle here. I would encourge or better yet.................beg you to come and visit Albany. I would welcome the opportunity to show you around.
We offer some of the best in outdoor activities, comfortable climate, points of interest and the good people of the South. Lots of history in our State being one of the 13 original colonies. Many places to visit on weekends.
I wish you and your husband the Best and hope you decide to open this door. I welcome the opportunity to meet you two.
Stephanie Mc…, Agent, Canton, GA
Fri Jul 23, 2010
Good morning Laurie. Hey, come on in, the water's fine in Georgia! I don't blame you for being apprehensive. Moving to a new state is scary stuff. I've lived in 8 states and each time I was in knots. But, within weeks or less, I was fine. You quickly learn areas that favor your lifestyle and recreation choices and you'll become comfortable in your new Georgia shoes. Albany does have many advantages and if a job is bringing you here, well, in this economy, that's a REALLY good thing.
Best of luck in your new location. Welcome!
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Fri Jul 23, 2010
Ken makes a good point, Laurie. No matter where you move, there will probably be good and bad reviews. Albany, the county seat of Dougherty County in southwest Georgia, has some real advantages as far as cost of living and proximity to the Coast. My mother's family was from that part of the state. Below is a web reference that might be of help. We Georgians are pretty welcoming folks. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org
Web Reference:  http://www.albany.ga.us/
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Fri Jul 23, 2010

Ken Cook, , Atlanta, GA
Thu Jul 22, 2010
Georgia is a fine state and has "best" cities on several lists. I have family in Albany and they have a very good life there. He is a chiropractor and wife is a community volunteer. Every city has good and bad elements regardless of the state. Every neighborhood has good and bad elements. I have no vested interest in Albany but have known people from there and none of them complained about the town.