its 1:00am and my neighbors have loud music what should i do?

Asked by Connief, Phoenix, AZ Sat Nov 12, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Cheri String…, , Austin, TX
Sat Nov 12, 2011
Having dealt with this problem personally, my tactic has been to:
1. Call the home or go personally to politely ask them to turn down the volume, if you feel your safety would not be at risk. I explain that I want to give them the opportunity to take care of the problem without having to call the sheriff or police.
2. If that fails, call the sheriff or local police and find out what the noise ordinances are for the location. Most locales have specific measurable noise levels that have to be adhered to with restrictions on the time of day or night and you'd have to be able to prove that the noise exceeds the allowable decibels. Yes, I actually purchased a sound level meter from Radio Shack! Usually, a visit from the local police or sheriff's deputy is enough to get the volume turned down or off.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Ann Griffin, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Sat Nov 12, 2011
Connie, this is really not the forum to get answers to this type of urgent question. For heaven's sake, next time just call the police! I'm amazed you did get some answers late last night, thanks to some vigilant (and insomniac?) colleagues <smile>. Hopefully you called the cops and things settled down.

However, if this is a persistent problem, and if the problem property is rented, definitely tell the landlord and ask him/her to solve the problem. Get your other neighbors to call the landlord too. You may have to call the landlord a number of times and demonstrate that the problem is persistent before the landlord takes action.

If the property is not rented and the owners live there, you have a different type of problem. They can't be evicted. However they can be cited by the police.

If on the other hand, it is a local bar and you live close to it, sorry but you have to expect a certain amount of noise up to and a bit after closing time. In this case, consider moving if you can.

If you feel safe, approach the offenders when they are sober and tell them in a calm manner how upsetting it was, and ask what they will do in the future to not have a repetition. By no means do this if you have questions about your safety.

Best of luck and stay safe out there.
0 votes
Miritssa Cas…, Agent, Cave Creek, AZ
Sat Nov 12, 2011
Call the police or sheriff.
0 votes
Rocky Dole, Agent, Maricopa, AZ
Sat Nov 12, 2011
You have a few choices. You can go over and join them, use ear plugs or something to reduce the noise, go over and tell your neighbor to turn down the music, or you can call law enforcement and make a complaint. It really depends on what you want to do and the relationship you have with your neighbor.
0 votes
Maria Morton, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sat Nov 12, 2011
Two choices: ear plugs and sleep or join the party.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more