Michael.grim…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

how do i find out my boundries for my home?

Asked by Michael.grimes, New York, NY Thu Aug 30, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


The easiest and most accurate way to find your property boundaries is to have a professional surveyor company come out to your home and check the property line and pointed out where the markers are. If you have a copy of survey, call the same company who previously survey the property.

If you choose to measure your yard yourself,

1. You should check your house survey for the front of house to the street measurement and make a mark on the ground.

2. Check measurement from the survey for right side of the house to your neighbor and make a mark on the grand.

3. Extending the two makers on the ground to the front right side of property and usually you can find stone corner marker or any other marker.

4. Check your survey again to find out how wide your property.

5. Measure from the right front side corner marker to the other end of the property crossing the front of the house mark on the ground to find marker on the other side of property and continue the same procedure for four sides.

If your side yard measurement is 27’ and your neighbor’s fence is about 25’, your neighbor has built a fence on your property.

If you do not have the survey of your property, you should check your property tax bill for section, block and lot number, may be you can check it from your town website or call any real estate agent to help you find your survey map.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Look in the papers you got when you bought the house:
Normally they include a Plot Plan that shows the dimentions:
If the MARKERS are not clearly shown, you should be able to find all (4) if you can just find one.
If you have a City property with sidewalks; there may be a slash or indentation in the concrete.
If you have fences that were built a long time ago; the property line should be with a few inches of the fence.

If you cannot find you "papers"; go down to the County Recorder's Office and look at your file; they will copy records for a lot less than a Survey costs.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 30, 2012
Good morning, Michael:
By "boundaries for my home", I assume that you mean you want a drawing showing the property corners of your lot and the location of your home, driveway and other structures or improvements on your lot as well as easements, roads, utilities. If this is what you want, you should call a surveyor and ask for a boundary survey. If you call the guy in the below link and mention my name, he'll give you a good price. If boundries for my home meant something else, please contact me through my profile. If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Web Reference: http://goo.gl/6vdBD
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 30, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer