can i rent an apartment after filing bankruptcy?

Asked by Stacia, Virginia Beach, VA Wed Jun 11, 2008

Answers

6
Jerrolj1, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon May 9, 2016
Is renting an apt after bankruptcy possible
Yvette8494, Home Buyer, Virginia Beach, VA
Sun Jul 5, 2015
I need help I relocated back to 4-1-2015 Richmond after 29 years to help care for my father who was terminally, I inquired about a rental property on 4-10-15 and the landlord told me I could rent the house and it would be ready by the end of the month. On 4/28/15 After picking up and loading my personal items I return to Richmond and put the key in the door and the house had not had anything done it had not been painted or anything. The house was nasty and had a mildew odor. He assured me nothing was wrong I moved about 10 mins from the hospital so that my father would not have to drive 45 mins to the hospital every day for treatments for cancer and dialysis my father stayed in the home for several days and a week later became ill with an affection and was hospitalize. two weeks later he passed. I am still residing in the home because I recently filed bankruptcy and no one will rent to me. I need help I suffer with a heart conditions and my daughter has kidney issues we are living in black mold the landlord is a slumlord and the story go's on and on. I need help I work everyday but cant get anyone to rent to me PLEASE HELP What can I do

Yvette8494@yahoo.com
Dana Mathews, Other Pro, Long Beach, CA
Sun Aug 14, 2011
Apartments are just like all the banks... Everyone has tightened up their guidelines so its not as easy as it used to be... We Co-sign for clients that have filed bankruptcy provided they are working and have no criminal history....
Patricia Zur…, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Tue Jun 17, 2008
Property managers will check credit the same as a mortgage provider so a lot depends on the consistancy of your current payments. If you are renting now, and have been paying rent on time, it will be helpful to have evidence of those on-time payments available. If that situation is a little touch and go perhaps a private individual will be more lenient.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Jun 11, 2008
My assumption is yes. However, most of the rentals will check your credit. Since you filed bankruptcy, your credit score might be an issues.

You might be able to explain that due to certain hardship and I have some renters who offer to pay several months rent up front to secure a place if needed due to credit issues.

Sylvia
Sandy Shores, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Wed Jun 11, 2008
As the real estate market is cyclical, our market is ever changing. Today, more than ever there are many potential tenants with credit issues, looking at renting properties People have foreclosures, bankruptcies and the like on their credit reports.

Every owner and apartment complex is a bit different on their policy on what they are looking for in an ideal tenant. However, in some areas of the country there are a surplus of properties and apartments available for rent. So, many are offering free rent for a month, low or no security deposits and similar enticements. And, some have eased up considerably on their credit scoring criteria. Each tenant should be considered on an individual basis.

You may want to check with the apartment complexes you have an interest in, tell them your situation and have them let you know if they can work with you.

Best of luck to you!