can i have 2 agents looking for my dream home and who gets paid?

Asked by Frank, San Dimas, CA Sun Nov 30, 2008

Answers

18
Victor Quiroz’s answer
Victor Quiroz, Agent, Covina, CA
Wed Feb 23, 2011
Yes you can but the only reason why you would do that is if you are not confident in either agent. Fact of the matter is that you can work with whoever gets you the house you want! Unless you sign a Buyer Broker Agreement that ties you to one particular agent you are not obligated to any one agent. However if you have signed one with a particular agent and decide to buy a home with another agent, depending on how the agent wrote the Buyer Broker Agreement you may have to pay that agent the same amount of commission out of your pocket that the other agent got paid on the transaction.

I choose not to use a Buyer Broker Agreement because I am confident that the buyers who work with me are loyal. And if they choose to go with another broker I will not be taking them to court, its just not worth my time or efforts. I have other clients who need me! Also, if I sign a buyer broker agreement with a client and our personalities dont work well together I can fire them and have no further obligation to help them.
Web Reference:  http://www.victor4homes.com
Brenda Geraci, Agent, Upland, CA
Thu Mar 13, 2014
Hi Frank,

Yes, you can have 2 but why would you need 2? Only one will get paid.
Joanne Cothe…, Agent, Glendora, CA
Mon Apr 15, 2013
Hi Frank,

Yes, however only 1 of the agents will be paid for their work with you. What do you hope to accomplish in having 2 agents work with you?

Please let me know how I can help at this time. Thanks so much

Joanne Cothern, Realtor, e-PRO®
Century 21 Adams & Barnes
1395 S. Grand Ave.

Glendora, California 91740

(626) 485-3180 (Cell) Direct

Office Phone: 626 963-7621
Office Fax: 626 963-7627

Email: joanne100100@gmail.com
Web: http://www.sandimasrealestateandhomes.com

California DRE #01844305
Member of the Citrus Valley Association of Realtors®.
Member of the California Association of Realtors®.
Member of the National Association of Realtors®.
Melody Pike, Agent, Cerritos, CA
Fri Mar 22, 2013
Frank,

I agree with Diana Margala below from Upland, CA . You should have confident in your agent to find you the perfect house. It's seller's market in the San Dimas area 3/22/2013 inventory is low for this time of year. Having one realtor you have confident in and will go the extra mile for you. Best of luck finding the perfect home!
Jonathan Sta…, Agent, Covina, CA
Thu Aug 6, 2009
Frank,
Yes you CAN have 2 agents looking for you.
But, since they both have access to the same database (MLS) I don't know what good it would do you.
I think you would be better off on one agent's front burner than on two agent's back burners.
I hope this helps you Frank.
Jonathan Starr
Barbara McCl…, Agent, San Dimas, CA
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Hi Frank: Don't play REALTOR roulette! Find a REALTOR (an agent who is a professional and a member of the California Association of REALTORS, the National Association of REALTORS and their local ASSOCIATION), an agent who is full time so they can devote whatever time and hours are needed to assist your in finding that dream home. The agent should be available to you, be able to notify you immediately when new properties that meet your searach criteria come on the market. Your agent should be familiar with the specific area in which you want to live. Be a buyer who is faithful to YOUR agent, if you see a sign on a property which you are interested in, call YOUR agent for the infomation and to show you the home. If you stick with one agent, that agent will stick with you until together you find your home. We are all paid on commission and only when the escrow closes. It does put us in a difficult position when a buyer is working with two agents: we show the same properties, or just don't want to follow thru because we may be stepping on the toes of a fellow REALTOR and you are taking up the time of one agent who won't get paid.
Good luck in your home search and in becoming a homeowner - it is a great time to buy!
Jesse Sierra, , Chino Hills, CA
Sat Jul 11, 2009
Frank,
You should stick to one or tell the other agent tha you are working with another agent.
I have done a lot of foot work for other agents for their clients.
It's just not fair. Hire the best agent.
Dp2, , Virginia
Mon Dec 1, 2008
Frank, since you mentioned you're searching for your dream home, I'll assume you're not an investor. In that case, the first part of my answer will echo a lot of what has already been stated. Unless you're looking in 2 geographically different locations, or using 2 realtors who specialize in different neighborhoods, you probably should stick with 1 realtor.

Yet, if you were an investor, then I'd state that there's nothing particularly wrong with using multiple agents--especially if they all have different specialties (specific neighborhoods, pre-foreclosures, REOs, etc). For example, you don't want a realtor who specializes in pre-foreclosures to represent you on REOs.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Dec 1, 2008
Frank,

Ask the agents to identify for you the locations they specialize in and where the feel they have the most knowledge.

We feel different locations should warrant different agents and the commission goes to the onw that comes up with the "golden egg."
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Dec 1, 2008
No you should not. You should have one good agent who can provide you with all of the listings that meet your search criteria and in your area you desire. if they can not move on. You should sign 1 good agent to be your buyer broker and assist you through the buying process and watch out for you. if you sign with 2 agents you will pay double. good luck with your search
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Diana Margala, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Mon Dec 1, 2008
Hi Frank:

Personally I believe you would want to work with one agent. I'm not sure what advantage you would think that you would have by working with two. We only get paid if we can find and successfully complete the transaction.

How would you handle the fact that both agent working to finding your dream home, both agents send you the same house to look at, who would you choose to take you to the property and be your advocate? Would you take what one agent has sent you or shown you and then ask the other agent to write the offer? If one agent did some of the work and the other one finished it, how would the first agent get paid? Would you have them work in YOUR best interest knowing that you weren’t going to have them complete the transaction so there would be no chance for compensation for their work? You would have them spending time working for you and possibly loosing another customer that would be loyal, one in which they might get paid?

If the agent you choose listens to you and understands your wants and needs, shows you property that meets those needs, can explain the buying process and makes sure you are in the proper position to purchase a home, then you have probably chosen the right agent. If they are not doing that, then you need to replace them...but that is not working with two at the same time. Make sure you tell the one that you are no longer interested in working with them. It is about trust, understanding and ability. Once you have an agent that meets your criteria work with them, so that they can do the job for you.

You should also know that as an agent if I find that a buyer is working with another agent, ethically we are not suppose to interfere with that agent so you are putting both agents in a very uncomfortable position.

Diana 909-945-5763
Web Reference:  http://www.dianam.com
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Mon Dec 1, 2008
I can appreciate the below answers, but attending continuing education doesn't always equal a good agent.

Who gets paid? The one you signed the contract with Whether buyer's agency or actual. I suggest you stick to one unless you are looking at two geographically different areas. Then I would at least be upfront with the agents involved.
Web Reference:  http://www.gahomesdigest.com
Jeff and Gin…, Agent, Vero Beach, FL
Mon Dec 1, 2008
We suggest using ONE and only one CRS and/or an ABR Buyers agent if possible. Only 3-4% of the top Realtors qualify as CRS agents with additional education and successful years of proven experience. You could also search online at http://www.CRS.com or call them at 800/462-8841. Good luck to you!
Michael Barr…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Sun Nov 30, 2008
Hi there Frank, it is really not in your best interest as both agents will be essentially doing the same amount of work, The agent only gets paid at the end of a closed escrow so it is your best interest to work with an agent who can help you with this. Finding the home is just one small part, getting it closed is another challenge and getting the home for the least possible price is something buyers want, so you should consider an agent who can negotiate successfully on your behalf.

Hope this helps
Regards
Michael Barron
Realtor/MBA
First Team Estates
(714) 552-6817
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sun Nov 30, 2008
Choose one agent and choose correctly......agents only get paid on commission....and a GOOD agent will insist that you sign a buyer agreement upfront for this exact reason.
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun Nov 30, 2008
No that is not professional conduct. Limited amount of homes on the market which would match your specifications, therefore they are searching for same properties.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sun Nov 30, 2008
Frank -

Unless the two locations are far, far away from each other (like one in S.F., one in L.A); get ONE agent that you can trust to look for your dream home for you.

You really should only work with somebody you can trust anyway; and TRUST works both ways.

You only need ONE good agent to take great care of you; if he/she can't help you, then that's not a good agent. Find another one that can, but you don't need two agents.

Sylvia Barry
Marin Realtor
Cynthia Flem…, Agent, Laguna Niguel, CA
Sun Nov 30, 2008
Why are you working with 2 agents? I'm sure there's going to be duplication of efforts. You should select the agent that you feel most comfortable with and feel is most competent and have them represent you. Only one agent is going to be able to present an offer on your behalf. The agent presenting the offer will be the agent who gets paid. Unless of course if you've already signed a buyer agency agreement with either of them and then you could be responsible for payment of that agent's commission.