adding names to house title in Harris county Texas ( not through sale) to buy insurance. I need form to do it myself- not found in internet. help!

Asked by Francis, Greater Fondren Southwest, Houston, TX Fri Feb 24, 2012

Answers

13
Chris Hutchinson’s answer
Chris Hutchi…, Agent, Hurst, TX
Sat Feb 25, 2012
It can be financially disastrous to add the wrong person to the deed of a home. It may not be necessary and I suggest contacting an real estate attorney before you move forward. Tell them what you want to accomplish and ask if there are other ways to do it without adding additional owners to the home.

The consequences of doing this wrong included not being able to sell or even refinance without the express written permission of the other owner. Make sure it's done right.
Chris Schill…, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Feb 25, 2012
Francis,

Please find attached the form at the HCAD to do this yourself. You will need to attach evidence- copy of the deed or a closing statement, but this will get it done..

If you liked my answer, give me a "Thumbs up" and I appreciate the Best Answer as a reward!

Chris Schilling
Real Estate Broker
Turbo Realty
Bouncy105s, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Mon Mar 13, 2017
how can my father in law change the name on a deed if his mother who passed left it to him in a will
Bouncy105s, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Mon Mar 13, 2017
Lettylulu, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Mon May 2, 2016
Help!
My son bought a home for me due to my credit question can we get my name be on the deed?
Please Help.
Sahar Samadi…, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Feb 9, 2015
Hello

You can go to http://www.hcad.org, under forms select the appropriate form for adding a name, fill it out and mail it with a copy of the deed. You can also drop off the form at the Harris appraisal district if you don't want to mail it. It can take up to 30 days for the change to take place.
Gerard Jacks…, Home Owner, 77085
Fri Dec 5, 2014
I need to add my wife to get the 65 and over tax exemption, how do I do that
Diana Alderm…, Agent, Cypress, TX
Sat Feb 25, 2012
If you are on the deed OR you have received this property by devise, you will be able to fill our a name change form and file it with Harris County Appraisal District. If your name is on the "recorded" deed, attach a copy of the recorded deed to the name change form.

If you have inherited the property and the will has been probated, it is easier to hand carry that probated will into Harris County Appraisal District's office to finalize the addition of your name. They will be able to see the probated will on the County records.

I am assuming you are referring to homeowners insurance. Homeowners insurance is available to owners at a better annual rate than non-homeowners insurance.
Web Reference:  http://www.hcad.org
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Yes, read your title policy for contact info and follow their suggestion as to process involved.
Vanessa Mart…, Agent, Pearland, TX
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Call the title company that you originally closed with. They should be able to help.

Vanessa Castillo, Realtor, TAHS
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/vcastillo
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Fri Feb 24, 2012
As far as where to get forms to add a name to title, Staples or Office Depot should have them.
Nanci Zimmer…, , Cedar Park, TX
Fri Feb 24, 2012
I am not sure why you would need to add someone to the house title for insurance purposes. Best to contact an attorney who can advise you. A title company attorney may not be as expensive??

Best of luck
Nancy W. Sua…, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Francis,
I suggest you talk with a real estate attorney or with a title company to get the records on the property as you want them. Adding a name should be fairly simply, but there will be a fee for the service. Also be aware there could be tax ramifications for the property owners.

Check it out carefully!

Wishing you success,
Nancy Suarez