Kevin Cheung, Renter in Seattle, WA

Young professionals working in Everett and Redmond, what neighborhoods do you suggest?

Asked by Kevin Cheung, Seattle, WA Mon Jun 17, 2013

My buddy and I are moving to the Puget Sound and looking to rent a place but are unsure on neighborhoods. I'll be working for Boeing up in Everett and he'll be working for Microsoft in Redmond. We were originally looking at the Green Lake area but found out about the 520 bridge toll. What is a good area to live that is convenient for Everett and Redmond?

Answers

10
Johan Tong, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 18, 2013
Hi Kevin,

After reading other people's recommendation, I notice they miss a good option for you.

Have you thought about Lynnwood? People used to think of Lynnwood as underdeveloped area, but it has changed a lot. It has become a satellite city near Seattle. Lynnwood has many modern constructions of apartments and townhouses, and there is a big shopping mall nearby. It is easy to visit Seattle and Bellevue from Lynnwood, and it is a lot closer to Canada where you want to go for delicious Chinese food. The best of all is that the rent is very reasonable, and you get to save some money from your new job.

In terms of traffic, if you work in Boeing and have an early shift starting at 6 am, the traffic along highway 99 or I-5 is not too bad in the area. If your friend works at Microsoft, he may start work after 10 am. 405 typically sees bad traffic around 7 am to 9 am. By the time he hits the road for work, the traffic should get loose.

I would be happy to provide you more local information. Please feel free to contact me for any assistance.

To find a rental property, please visit:
David Pitney, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Jun 17, 2013
As far as Commute time, Green Lake is a good place to start from going both directions. To Boeing you are moving opposite traffic in the morning and on the way home. To Redmond, the toll is worth its fee. Traffic on the eastside to Redmond is crazy at commute time now mater the direction. Once you are here for a year or two you will be more educated on a area to really settle into.
Hope it helps,
David
Ray Akers, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Jun 17, 2013
Well, you definitely want to avoid the floating bridges. Redmond just ranked 5th on the list of most-livable cities in the U.S. Why not live in one the nation's highest-rated cities and commute on I-405 to Everett? Bothell is sort of in-between and it's up-and-coming ---actually 'hot'. Lake Forest Park is very suburban, but might be too sleepy. Kirkland has great small-town-village ambiance, with restaurants and some nightlife. There's Edmonds, a charming, quiet town north of Seattle. Monroe is halfway between, farther east on Highway 2, which leads to winter skiing and summer hiking. You have a number of choices. It all depends on your lifestyle and your price range.
Will Herlan, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Mon Jun 17, 2013
I have clients with that dilemma right now. Traffic north in the morning is better than traffic south, so they are looking at Lake Forest Park, Woodinville, north Kirkland, Bothell and Kenmore. It is not going to be pleasant for your buddy, but those are the best compromise locations.

Why are you thinking of renting? Are you waiting for the interest rates to go up before you buy?
Brad Thomsen, Agent, Edmonds, WA
Fri Sep 27, 2013
An area convenient for Redmond and Everett, and is a very nice place to live, is the Kirkland area. Kirkland / Woodinville are pretty much equal distance to both areas, you avoid crossing either the 520 or I-90 bridges. Nice areas, plenty of amenities and recreation. Boeing and Microsoft are great companies. Welcome to our area.
Eric Molsness, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sat Aug 3, 2013
Possibly consider Bothell, Kirkland or Woodinville. ?
Kyoko Matsum…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sat Aug 3, 2013
The hidden gem is Mountlake Terrace. It has a Transit Center with a multi story garage and a flyer stop (a bus stop in the middle of the freeway). They are also just developing a town center and many new housing types with be built in the next few years. Currently there are new apartments available and new condos will soon be coming. All the new townhouses built in the past several years are sold out, except for one unit (and that may be gone soon.) I feel that anyone who buys there will not regret it. It is also a very easy reverse commute to Boeing in Everett and is just a few minutes to the 405 connection from I-5 to Redmond and the Microsoft Campus. There are also several back roads to the east side and I have sold homes in this area to Microsoft employees.
Ridge Marsha…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Jun 17, 2013
I live in the Green Lake area and you would love it, too bad about the toll bridge.

If I was looking to live closer to Everett and Redmond, and not pay the toll. I would pick Mill Creek. I have a 2 bedroom Townhome for rent in a great location.

Regardless, Mill Creek is quiet, close to Everett (but not in it) and it is an easy commute to 420 highway with no toll bridge.
Mary Pratt K…, , Bellevue, WA
Mon Jun 17, 2013
How about the Eastside?
Microsoft has shaped this area with it's younger demographic...you have lots of pubs, microbreweries (Redhook!), shops, soccer and great dog park at Marymore Park, it's closer to the mountains for skiing or hiking, close to the water for boating, sailing or a run along Lake WA Blvd. It's a quick drive to the nightlife in Bellevue, and it's just a hop over to downtown if you want. If you live close to either of downtown areas of these two neighborhoods, everything is within walking distance. We also have daily farmer's markets around the area from May till October, and lots of biking lanes for alternate modes of transportation.
It's also working in your favor traffic wise. I-5 and 405 are pretty bogged down in the morning, from about 7-9:30am and 3:30-6:30 pm. The traffic northbound to Everett from this Eastside region is by far lighter than north to south, and your drive home isn't bad either.
Oh, and Welcome to the area (in advance)!-
Mary Pk
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Jun 17, 2013
Green Lake is a great place to live; what are the tolls going to be - $35/week at rush hour?