Would I be able to put a Blu Homes prefab in Los Gatos Mountains? Would I need new construction building permits?

Asked by Elena Davalos, Los Gatos, CA Thu Aug 22, 2013

Answers

5
Scott Poncet…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Thu Aug 22, 2013
Yes, it's certainly possible and yes, you would need new construction building permits in this case. In the event that you purchased an existing home and were able to retain some of the existing structure, the permit process would be easier and less expensive as a remodel/addition. Some of the Blu home models are very attractive so that may in fact be your decision but the other alternative may be a more cost-effective option. The primary reason for this would be that the site would likely have a water supply, an existing septic system and power. When buying raw land, these are additional expenses that would likely be incurred in the development process. I'm an experienced agent with 10 years as a developer as well as a mountain resident for over 15 years . If you would like further guidance feel free to contact me.

Scott Poncetta
Intero Real Estate
408-757-1007
sponcetta@interorealestate.com
Michael Blom…, , 95030
Wed Oct 16, 2013
Hi Elenad805,

Yes, you would need new construction building permits in both Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties. In fact there are numerous permits and tests you would need for Blu Homes or a custom home.

Although I have never built a home in Santa Cruz county I have built / remodeled dozens of homes in Santa Clara county and am very familiar with the process. I would be happy to help walk you through the process if you have already located a lot. In addition, I have numerous, excellent contractors for everything from wells and septic systems to electrical and roofs. Depending upon your needs and desires I am certain I can help you complete your project on time and very close to your budget.

It should be noted that you are sometimes better off finding an existing home and remodeling or demolishing vs starting from scratch. Actually, you maybe able to live in the existing home while you build your new Blu Home; and then later keep it as a rental. There are size restrictions for a granny unit, but all of this information is easily accessible. Living on the property during construction is not only efficient; it is extremely helpful to manage your contractors (confirm they maintain your schedule)

Do you have a large family?

I am curious if you are working with a rep at Blu homes. A good friend of ours Milli Josifovska; josifovska@yahoo.com is a rep for Blu Homes. I would highly recommend working with Milli if you don't have a Blu Homes rep.

Please let me know if you have any questions; if I don't know the answers I will know where to quickly and easily find them.

I am a 2nd generation real estate and mortgage broker with over 20 years of experience. Furthermore I am a Los Gatos native who has lived in Los Gatos for almost 50 years. Besides helping you locate your new building site I can also help with construction financing and contractors.

Best wishes,

Michael Blomquist
408-399-0590
michaelsblomquist@gmail.com
Amir Shahkar…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Fri Aug 23, 2013
You need to go to the city directly and in person.
Mitchell Pea…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri Aug 23, 2013
Elena:

Yes, Elena, you can install a factory built home in a building site approved spot on a foundation suitable to the soil technologist's report. It is a prefab home, not a manufactured home, as it is built to state building codes. At least that is their advertising. A manufactured come would be built to the Federal HUD code and arrive as a trailer in sections that are tied together at the home site. A Blu Home arrives on a flatbed truck in pieces that are put together at the home site.

Do you have the land to put it on? If you are looking for land, please call me, I represent land for sale in the Los Gatos mountains. I can also help you arrange financing.

I look forward to seeing your new house.

Mitchell Pearce
408-639-0211
mitchell@handsonrealtor.com
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Fri Aug 23, 2013
Yes, you would need permits. I don't see any reason for not approving a prefab. But like any other generic question, one answer doesn't fit all.

Many people confuse prefab with mobile homes. The community in the mountains will have CC&R's and those CC&R's may have certain restrictions.
Web Reference:  http://www.TerriVellios.com