Would Elgin, IL be a good area for someone who is new to the chicago area, young and single to move to?

Asked by Jessi, Chicago, IL Mon May 2, 2011

I am new to the area and working in Schaumburg. I'm trying to research where would be the best place in the area for me to live. I am looking for a town with a nice downtown, restaurants, good parks/trails for running and easy access to a metra station. Also a young crown between 25-35 would be ideal. I have come across a few apartments in Elgin and I am curious if this area would be a good match.

Answers

9
Accurate Ins…, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Mon May 2, 2011
Elgin isn't Chicago. In fact it is in the direction away from Chicago. So if you are looking to be closer to the City it isn't a good idea. Sorry don't know too much out there. For us City folk that's the other side of the planet. Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.aic-chicago.com
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon May 2, 2011
elgin is more on the edge if you look at a map.. why not pick a place that is closer to the middle so you can go down town, to the airport, to Elgin.. the Arlington heights pick was a good one - defimnately need to spend a weekend before signing a lease..pick 3 towns and choose the best one- Shamburg has some huge young rental complexs
Web Reference:  http://www.joeschiller.net
John Gall, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon May 2, 2011
Arlington Heights has a very lively downtown area, is within close proximity to Schaumburg and a has Metra stop which runs right through town. There are some very nice condos/rentals available.
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon May 16, 2011
There are at least a dozen options but they are all in Chicago. If you are serious about wanting to be near young people, you are working just outside one of the top three densest populations of 'young' people in the country. Unless you want to spend your social life with a bunch of people miserable about their divorces and closing down the bar at Bennigan's, start considering the City. The North Side is full of safe neighborhoods where you can walk to bars and crawl home. Do you want good dining or do you want the ravioli looking thing at The Olive Garden? A jog on Lake Michigan or around some fountain spewing pond in a subdivision?

You don't want to get stuck going to the same generic pub in downtown Wherever when you can live in a city with 50 downtowns, easy access to all the things you mentioned, and be within spitting distance of either the Metra or the highway. Please, Jessi, for humanity's sake, don't waste your youth in the suburbs. Save that for marriage when you have nothing else to do.
Marcin Talaga, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed May 11, 2011
Jessi,

Elgin is a great place to raise a family, well, at least some parts of it is. But anyway, I would say it is more of a place to settle down in when you get tired of the hussle and bussle of the city. If you want to be close to entertainment and a nightlife, without being in the busy city, I would recommend neighborhoods such as Edison Park, Park Ridge, Niles, even Norridge. You'll still be close to the expressway and a 20 minute or so highway ride to Schaumburg, and plenty of public transportation. If you'd like help looking for a place in these neighborhoods, shoot me an email.

Take care.

Marcin
Marcin@ConlonRealEstate.com
Brian, Home Buyer, Chicago, IL
Fri May 6, 2011
There isn't much of a young crowd in Elgin, Chicago is where the fun is at. I live on the very Northwest side of Chicago near the 90 tollway and it's very easy for me to get to Schaumburg. Also I'm next to the Cook County Forest Preserves, I can literally walk 3 blocks to the beginning of the trail.
Robert Pratt, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue May 3, 2011
Hi there, Jessi!

Welcome to the Chicago area :).

Fair housing does prohibit us from commenting regarding whether it is a "good" area.
Further, whether an area is a good fit for you is a very personal decision for you and for anyone!

Give us a call at 312.242.1000 and we will put you in touch with our area rental specialist to help you get to know the Chicago area and to assist you in your relocation and home search.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference:  http://www.dreamtown.com
Tommy Hicks, , Dallas, TX
Mon May 2, 2011
Hi Jessi,
I would suggest spending time in Elgin, or any other town, before locking into a rental for a year. Every town will be able to offer you something totally different. It always boils down to location. Park you car, walk around, talk to people. See what works best for you. And don't forget about your commute time.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon May 2, 2011
Since real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods, do consider revisiting the area more than once and at different times of day, look for everything that is important to you, possibly chat with locals, then make your determination....