Will be moving to Bakersfield in a couple of weeks for a job. We love old craftsman houses but want to be in a safe area. What can you suggest.?

Asked by Lisa Marie Frazee, Valley Center, CA Mon Oct 22, 2012

We have twin 8 month old girls so we need plenty of room and safety. My husband will be starting with Union Pacific in Jan 2013. We need to find a house!!! Lol

Answers

8
Bbeechie, Home Buyer, Visalia, CA
Thu Nov 29, 2012
Hi Lisa! We currently love and live in Oleander :-). If you are looking to rent we are looking for a renter for our 1920s craftsman home as we are about to close on another craftsman downtown. If you'd like details you can contact me at my email address bbeechie@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Bernadette
Diane White, Agent, Bakersfield, CA
Sat Nov 17, 2012
Hi Lisa Marie,

Most of my buyers want to live West of the 99. I personally live in Westchester. I have owned other homes in Westchester and Oleander. My husband and I do some of the work our selves and hire some of the other parts. I would not live anywhere else. But if you want to live in this area you have to understand the floors will not be even. Anything you fix will not be easy. You can not go to the hardware store and pick up replacement parts. But, I love it. So, make your choice wisely.
LiveinBako, Home Owner, Bakersfield, CA
Sun Oct 28, 2012
Take the advice "stay away from anything east of the 99" with a grain of salt. I've lived both west and east of the 99--and have had plenty of ghetto neighbors west of the 99. Not too many Craftsman style houses west of the 99 either. Plenty of drywall cookie cutter homes. I would definitely look in Oleander and Westchester.
Tara Carter, Home Buyer, Bakersfield, CA
Sun Oct 28, 2012
You will want to live on the west side of town. Northwest is the most desirable. Stay away from anything east of the 99 unless it is far east (Rio Bravo and City in the Hills are great but a ways out). Northwest is a great area...lots of parks. There are areas in the 93313 zipcode that are very nice.
I'm not a realator, I'm simply a resident. The style of home you are looking for are in areas that are not considered by residents to be as safe. Oleander area has the style of home you want, but not the safety.
Flag Sun Oct 28, 2012
Anna Hernand…, Agent, Bakersfield, CA
Mon Oct 22, 2012
I would love to help you find a safe home in Bakersfield, I have lived here all my life. I would keep you in the areas that i would live. I am a single mom with 3 boys, so I completely understand.

Anna Hernandez
661-809-3388
jan detomaso, Agent, Bakersfield, CA
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Hi LisaMarie,

As the other agents have told you, for the craftsman style home, you would want to look in either the Westchester or Oleander part of our town. Some of the homes in those areas are quite large and on very large lots. Very stately and elegant and there are others that have not been kept up and need lots of work. There are homes in both areas for sale and the prices vary accordingly. It sounds as if you will be needing a home within a couple of months so you need to get started looking. I don't know what your financial situation is but you need to have your lending in place before you can put in an offer. If you are not working with an agent and would like to see what we have available currently, I would be happy to send you current listings in both of those area so you can get a feel for what the homes look like and the price variations. Please feel free to call or email me...Jan DeTomaso 661-431-4194 or jandetomaso@gmail.com
Cameron Mill…, Agent, Bakersfield, CA
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Hello Lisa Marie,
I have two girls of my own, twins must be precious. I would recommend looking in the Oleander and Westchester Area's for a craftsman style home. Let me know if I can help you with finding a home in that area or other areas of Bakersfield.
Valerie Ulrey, Agent, Bakersfield, CA
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Hi Lisa Marie,
In order to find an old, craftsman style house, you would want to focus on the Oleander/ Westchester area. This area has awesome older homes, many of which have been remodeled and updated.
The other option is the NE section of Bakersfield. To be honest, your price range will determine which area to focus on more!

Have you been pre-approved with a lender? If you have not talked to anyone locally in Bakersfield, give me a call or send me an email and I can give you a few names of lenders that are reputable, efficient and easy to work with. Once you have been pre-approved, we can start looking at homes.

I would be happy to set you up with emails from the MLS even before you get to Bakersfield, so you can get familiar with the homes and prices in our market. My contact information is listed below. Feel free to call or email with questions regarding homes, the market, areas of Bakersfield and lending.

Even if you don't use me as your Realtor, I sincerely wish you luck in your move and impending house hunt!!

Valerie Ulrey
REALTOR
Scott Rivera Real Estate Team, Inc.
cell 661-900-8792
email: valerieulrey@yahoo.com