Why doesn't Schaefer Ranch lower their prices when other builders do?

Asked by Tj, Dublin, OH Thu Nov 20, 2008

We looked at Schaefer Ranch homes by Discovery & they said they do not negotiate their prices. We were surprised since Braddock & Logan, Pulte & Lennar are all reducing their prices. This makes Schaefer the most expensive in the Dublin area. Is it worth it to buy at Schaefer? We like the location, but I don't know if it's worth paying more. Was anyone else able to negotiate their price? How did you do it?

Answers

1
Derek Joyner, , Winston Salem, NC
Thu Nov 20, 2008
Your agent can look up a neighborhood and tell you if any of the previous buyers were able to negotiate any off the price. A good builder will usually not have to negotiate off the price. A lot of people try to cut the corner and get the builder who will negotiate a little to build there house. Later they try to sell and they all of a sudden want top dollar. Well buyers walk in and notice these cut corners. I know of a couple of builders in my area that the actual sales price is higher than asking price. It is because the builder will not negotiate any off price. And buyers usually throw in some upgrades on the loan. So when you pull them up in our MLS to see a neighborhood. You see asking price $170,000, sells price $174,000. The builders that have a following usually do not have to come off there price. The builders that are trying to survive do everything they can to survive.