Why are most of the homes not renovated inside? The kitchens look pretty poor.

Asked by TF8482, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Aug 20, 2007

Answers

11
Gary Swank, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Aug 22, 2014
There could be any number of reasons, most of which would center on the seller just not having the cash to update, especially if they're planning to sell. This may afford you a better deal, as long as you are willing to invest in your new home. Move in ready properties always bring a higher price and value. Let's talk about it if you wish...
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Well, I guess there are a lot of people that don't want to put money into a house they are going to sell. The kitchen is one of the strongest selling points in a house. It would make good sense to update a little bit. Especially floors and counter tops. Cabinets could get by with a paint job and new hardware for a minimal cost.
Web Reference:  http://carriecrowell.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Sounds like you might have an opportunity. Either starting a kitchen remodeling company or buy and rehab and flip the house.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Aug 22, 2014
Question posted Aug 2007

Bump your price point up $50K and you will see better looking kitchens.
Bobbarry, Home Buyer, Plymouth Meeting, PA
Thu Aug 21, 2014
If the kitchen is very poor, I would prefer it because I can do whatever I want. If the kitchen has had money put into it and it is not to my taste, I would hate to have tear down a brand new kitchen.
Donna and Joe…, Agent, Southampton, PA
Sun Jun 30, 2013
Usually if the owner invests in new kitchens and baths, they are planning on staying put. If there are changes (relocation - divorce - etc. ) that come up, they will sell. The fully updated, clean, great location homes are rare and sell quickly. That is why it is important to have a great realtor that is keeping an eye on new listings for you.

Best Wishes,
Donna
Geojac Ringe…, Home Buyer, Pittsburgh, PA
Tue Jun 18, 2013
I am one of those homeowners in SouthSide. take a look at pics at 19 south 16th street townhouse for sale. my kitchen/dining room rehab cost $60K. A kitchen rehab can cost $20K-$50K. I liked the comment about cigs and beer. That's the old SouthSide. Still see some of those folks around.
Rush, , Pittsburgh, PA
Thu Mar 17, 2011
Apparently you have not looked in Lawrenceville where it is still standard in many houses to have the only bathroom in the basement.

Many of the home owners around here spent all of their money on cigarettes and beer, not leaving anything for remodeling.
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Fri Sep 7, 2007
Kitchens can be a challenge for alot of folks. The truth is, if you understand how a sink works, you can renovate a kitchen and make it look really good for not too much money.
1) Drains: Replace all drains coming out of the wall to the sink
2) Electrical: After turning off the power, note the three wires going into the disposal, and the ones going into the dishwasher. three wires....Black, white and green. Get yourself a book on electrical, and at least understand what it takes, then call the electrician with your list of "what to do"
3) Other plumbing - water supply...only two lines, hot and cold...usually a disconnect under the sink...replace all valves EVERYTIME, and replace everything from the valve to the faucet.
4) Faucets...not rocket science...all go on the same way...loosen up from below, have someone hold it above...you may have to twist alittle, but no pain no gain and save yourself $100 installation per faucet.

5) Cabinets...plan it on your own on paper...then go see a professional, after you layout the location of the dishwasher, new stove and refridgerator.
6)Do not buy a Fridgadaire...worst appliance I have ever fought with...they may appear to be cheaper, but unless you enjoy being abused by a service person in some remote foreign country, get a GE or equivalent.

The secret is to PLAN everything...from the floors(ceramic or better) to the ceilings(extra lights). Do not go on the cheap..don't cut corners...better to have less countertop, but a quality countertop than 12 feet of cheap formica.

Have fun!
Web Reference:  http://www.iansellsnola.com
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Kitchen and baths are high points when selling, They are also the money pits when remodeling. Perhaps these properties have been used as rentals and have a lot of wear and tear.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Are you looking at entry level homes? Kitchens and baths are very important. The good news is, you'll save some money n the cost of the home and be able to remodel as you wish.
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com