Pat, Home Buyer in Westchester County, NY

Which side of the bridge?

Asked by Pat, Westchester County, NY Tue Jun 29, 2010

I am an NP and will be working off of Tremont Ave, Bronx. I am single, woman, would like a small house with a yard and in a community with green space and be able to walk to a town, business area. I have looked at Bayside but would like to know of recommendations in Westchester (so my commute does not include getting over TNB!) Heard mixed reviews on City Island. I will drive to work but want to be no more more than 15-20 from my office. Thanks

Hi Pat,

What is the price range? There are houses in the Bronx that are currently on the market that would include a small yard. Prices for single family homes, that match your criteria, range from $289,000 to $745,000. You might also want to consider Yonkers or Mount Vernon. It is a short drive down the Bronx River Parkway. Single family homes start at $279,900. There is also New Rochelle. Prices there for single family homes start at $335,000 and you are the 15-20 minute driving range of your job.

Here are some articles from the New York Times regarding City Island:……

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
Much will depend on your budget--take the time and visit some areas of choice, drive around the neighborhoods, look at everything that is important to you, get a sense of belonging, then choose an area that will assure your comfort level, and go from there.
Hi Pat:

There are several communities along the Hudson River without having to cross the Bridge, where I think you might find what you are looking for. Yonkers, Tarrytown, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings and even a little further north, on the Ossining/Briarcliff, Pocantico areas which may give you a little more of the green space that you are looking for.

If you would like to start your search, my contact information is below. Good luck. It is a wonderful time for buyers.

Barbara O'Connell
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Margot Bennett, Inc.
Hi Pat, I recommend Hartsdale and Tarrytown. I'm not sue of your budget but these two areas arent that far from the Bronx (Hartsdale being closer). I am an Accredited Buyer Representative, if you would like to setup a "no strings attached" consultation we can meet and discuss your needs. I can also educate you on the county and its various towns and amenities.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative

Legends Realty Group