Which are the best neighborhoods for a young family to start in?

Asked by Bwayne, Las Vegas, NV Tue Feb 21, 2012

Answers

7
Ivana Alexander’s answer
Ivana Alexan…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Feb 21, 2012
You can not really find out the best answer by reading all the answers here. Call one of the realtors and discuss personally or on the phone. Then visit different areas with your chosen realtor and find your answer.
Ivana
Steve Matthe…, Agent, North Las Vegas, NV
Tue Feb 21, 2012
Hello Bwayne,

This is an extremely loaded question, and one that is virtually impossible to answer. While I like just about any newer homes in virtually any community around the perimeter of Las Vegas, my answer really has more to do with you than the neighborhood you select. I raised 5 children in Las Vegas, so I feel well positioned to respond to this question.

Years ago Hillary Clinton wrote a book about how it takes a village to raise a child. Really you need to find a neighborhood that has people who can help you raise your new Family. That means schools where parents are involved with the education of their children, a church you feel comfortable with that will embrace your family as their own. This goes against the crowd a bit, but I have found and believe that if you have extended Family in Town, living closer rather than farther is better. While it important for any extended Family to respect the need for your family to have their space, time will support my premise that having them near by is priceless in terms of it value to you in the long run.

If no extended Family is nearby, take a few weeks to visit a few church congregations until you find one that you feel at home with. If you are not a church goer, drive communities and see where you feel a sense of home.

Obviously price is a consideration, especially for a new family. So, that is going to influence where you end up. Now, I may get a bit of grief for the following (please do not construe this in any way as steering), but I like anything west of I15 and North of Ann Road for future value and overall services development. I look at any purchase of a home from the standpoint that someday I want to sell, so I need an exit strategy. It is a fact that the most affordable newer homes are found in the far north, and I believe that we will also see the greatest amount of appreciation in those areas well.

If I can help, please feel free to contact me.

Best of luck and thanks for reading.

Steve Matthews
Prudential Americana
702-491-4663
steve@reovegas.com
David Cooper, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Feb 21, 2012
How big a family do you have? Any pets? Employment? At $4.00+ gasoline, I would suggest living really close to where you will be working.

DAVID COOPER. BUYERS AGENT - INVESTOR - SALES ASSOCIATE - PROPERTY MANAGER
Since 1917 Realty 702-499-7037. 35 year experience
Sandy McBride, Agent, Henderson, NV
Tue Feb 21, 2012
What do you usually do for fun? Are you a Mt. Charleston kind of family? Then stick to that side of town such as Summerlin or Providence. Mountains Edge will put you close to Red Rock. Do you enjoy boating and fishing? Then get closer to Lake Mead in the Henderson area. Seven Hills is beautiful and has a number of parks and walking trails. Do you spend more time with in town activities? Then consider the Silverado Ranch area or even Southern Highlands. Overall, Las Vegas is really not THAT big. 30 to 40 minutes from one side of town to the other tops.

Different areas also come with different prices. So much to consider. Find a good real estate agent (like me!) and jump on in. Know it will take time.

The competition for houses is heating up as the inventory is dwindling. We expect this to be temporary as the banks get the kinks worked out that resulted from the new Assembly Bill 284 passed last October which has slowed down the foreclosure process in Nevada to a trickle. Patience and persistance is a must for today's Las Vegas Buyers.

Cheers!

Sandy McBride
702.612.8777

Realty ONE Group
Matthew D'Er…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Feb 21, 2012
My wife and I moved to Vegas in 1976 which was our first year in High School. We both attended UNLV and have been in Real Estate since the mid 80's so we are well versed on where to live and raise a family. We have lived on the west side (summerlin), near Tropicana and Eastern and further East, and the last 17 years in Green Valley. We raised two great kids who are 22 and 25 now and doing ver well. If I was you, I focus my attention on south Las Vegas/Henderson (Green Valley, Green Valley Ranch, 7 Hills if it's in your budget. If you like to call me I can give you all the pros/cons about all parts of Las Vegas and why I love the South Side/Green Valley for my family and yours. Thanks, Matt and Kim

Matthew and Kim D’Ercole
One Source Realty and Management
Cell - 702.501.0973
"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves".
Know the Constitution & Bill of Rights.
Website - http://matthewsellslasvegas.las.mlxchange.com
Michael Coxen, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Feb 21, 2012
Hey Bwayne,

According to GreatSchools.org, the top-rated schools in Las Vegas are on the westside of town: http://www.greatschools.org/nevada/las-vegas/

I encourage you to explore this site as well as Clark County School District's website at http://www.ccsd.net/ to download reports.

The Summerlin area has an award winning walking trail system and some beautiful parks filled with all the amenities.

Any further questions, feel free to give me a shout anytime.

Michael Coxen
(702) 339-8891
Web Reference:  http://www.michaelcoxen.com
Doug Sawyer, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Feb 21, 2012
Hi Bwayne,

There are alot of different factors. Start by knowing what you can qualify and buy within your means. Then think about how close to work, schools, places you usually go to, other family members. etc. The last thing you want to do is buy a house on the opposite side of town of where you spend most of your time. No sense traveling all day to get there. Plus gas is not too cheap anymore.

Another thing to consider is the crime rate in an area. No matter where you live there is going to be some element of crime but no sense ignoring the crime rate of an area. There are several web sites for that. Crimetracker3 is one. CHeck with Metro as well.

So really, once you know what you cac qualify for, the other issues are personal preference. I know some people that will not live west of I-15 and others will never live east of I-15. So it is really up to your specific situation.

I would be glad to help you find the right place for you. Please feel free to give me a call. I will even pay for a home warranty for you if I sell you a house.

I hope you find this helpful.