Where to rent for a family with 3 young children and $7k budget?

Asked by Jer, Outside U.S. Thu Aug 23, 2012

We are planning to move to New York in September with our 3 young children below 5 year-old. I am only familiar with midtown where I will be working and would love to hear your views on where and what to rent with a budget of $7k, within 30min of the office (6th and 50th). We need at least 3BR and a good PS from kindergarten. What do you think?

Answers

12
Grace Walker’s answer
Grace Walker, , New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Hi Jer,

Welcome to New York!

I grew up in Brooklyn, spent most of my adult years living in Midtown Manhattan (50's East) with one child and now live alone in Queens and service real estate clients in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. Unless you have extremely deep pockets, Manhattan is VERY expensive if you have small children and not particularly child friendly for daily living. As Boris, I now live in Forest Hills, Queens (an area of NYC), a very nice community with great schools, lots of park area and plenty of educational and fun activities for children as well as adults. (If you don't mind a little longer commute (45 to 60 minutes), there are areas of the City as well as on Long Island that are virtually rural, if that pleases you). On the train, I can get to Fifth Avenue and 53rd Street in about 20 minutes. By express bus, I can get there in about 35 minutes and it's an extremely comfortable ride. If you like having a car, which I do, Forest Hills is a hub where most of the highways converge, so you can easily travel to any borough of the City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island) in less than 30 minutes, if traffic permits, as well as Long Island, Upstate NY and New England for weekend jaunts. You can easily rent or purchase property in the Forest Hills area with a lot more space for about 60% less than you would spend in Manhattan, plus there are great schools and freebies that you would no doubt have to pay dearly for in Manhattan. I would suggest researching New York City online (I can send you some websites if you'd like) and then renting a car or hiring a limousine service to tour the areas of interest to you. That way you would be able to spend as much time and explore in detail the areas that most appeal to you. Please feel free to contact me via email with questions or if you'd like, you may call me at (347) 855-5373. Good luck! ... and Happy Hunting!

Grace Walker, Real Estate Agent
Cohen Smith Chang
(212) 277-5511 | (347) 855-5373
Ella Chavers, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
6 and 50th puts you in a very central position, most trains can deliver you to this location in 10 to 15 minutes from most point in Manhattan. You can go to the nyc.gov to check out the various schools. In addition get on one of those Apple buses and tour the city to see which area will suite your needs.

Ella Chavers
Prudential Douglas Elliman
echavers@elliman.com
917-608-9349
Boris Bast, Agent, Smithtown, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Good Morning,

One great area is Forest Hills, Queens which has a great school district. The commute to Midtown is under 30 minutes. Its located in area where you have access to Railroads and all major Highways as well. I myself grew up in this area and now raising my own kids as well. You can find a beautiful piece of property as well under your budget. You have beautiful parks which offer a variety of sports for the kids.

If you would like to be near NYC without the hustle and bustle this id one are you should look into. Let me know if you need more information. You can reach out to me if you woul dlike to chat.

Boris Bast
Century 21-Benjamin
917-539-6005 Mobile
Boris Bast, Agent, Smithtown, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Good Morning,

Boris Bast
Century 21-Benjamin
917-539-6005 Mobile
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Please call me. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. I have some nice properties in that area that you might like to see. Welcome to NY and good luck with the move!
Abu Musa, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
You may visit http://www.homefacts.com . Also you may visit http://www.schools.nyc.gov . Good luck.
Joelle Larro…, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
In my opinion, you should first rent a short term apartment for a month so you can register the kids to school and then depending on where they will be accepted you'll look for a long term rental apartment or an apartment to buy.

Joelle Larroche | Associate Broker | Vice President
Prudential Douglas Elliman | 1995 Broadway, 4th Fl | New York, NY 10023
C: 917.770.0626 | P: 212.712.2657 | F: 646.497.3839 | E: joelle.larroche@elliman.com
Testimonials: http://www.elliman.com/real-estate-agent/testimonials/joelle…
Veronika Baba, Agent, NY,
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Hi
To rent a for bedroom apartment or three bedroom in Manhattan is not easy. The inventory is very limited. With you budget is better to buy an apartment, if you intend to stay at list 5 years in New York.
There is one great apartment in W 70 street Three bedrooms and living room with separate dining room so you can convert the dining room in a 4th bedroom. The price is $1100.000 that is approximate $5000 mortgage. The maintenance for the apartment is $1800. All together is $7000.
You invest in a property and build equity instead renting and lousing money.
Best regards.
Veronika Baba
email Vbaba@kianrealtynyc.com
Phone347 528 5573
Linda Zhao, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
There are some available apt to meet your budget.
You need get very good kindergarten for your children near by the building.
Upper east side is good for you.
Truett Hanke…, , New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Just to make sure I'm clear. The buildings I'm talking about all cater to families with children. Also they understand you are working parents so they take the stress out of finding baby sitters or nannies or even day care. They offer it within the building(s). They also offer a nursery and day care.
Truett Hanke…, , New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012

That is easy. For a family there in only one place to rent that can offer you that. It's the upper westside. If you would like to see the places please contact me as I only deal in high end luxury.

Thank you

Truett Hankerson
Gold Star Properties
(347)633-1299
Truett@gspny.com
Joelle Larro…, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2012
You can ask Caroline at caroline@expat-us.com
It's her job to relocated families in Manhattan and she is excellent.