General Area in 07030>Question Details

Concerned Mom, Other/Just Looking in 07030

Where in NJ can I live that is racially diverse?

Asked by Concerned Mom, 07030 Sat Jun 16, 2012

My children are bi-racial and are having such a hard time in the town we currently live in Bergen County. My 9 year old hates going to school because he's constantly called racist names and I have spoken to everyone I can speak to and nothing has changed. I just want my children to be happy and to have peace. Any recommendations.

Ian A. Wolf’s answer
There is a great website that can help you. It is called and provides all kinds of statistical and demographic information on any zip code you enter. It should be very helpful to you in finding a town that meets your requirements.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 17, 2012
I'm so sorry - that's very sad. I moved ahead ago to the morris/Bergen county border and I'm fed up already with the white bedroom community we're renting in. My husband and I are non-Hispanic white but we grew up in middlesex county, NJ where it was much more diverse and we liked it that way! A multiracial family just moved around the corner here and are feeling the frigid reception :(. You'll have racism anywhere but it's nicer when it's an aberration, not the norm and where others are experiencing the same things to encourage and commiserate. Good Luck!
I just came across this blog...Did you ever find anywhere wonderful in NJ for your son?? I see that this post is over a year old but I am going to try and relocate to NJ sometime this year and also have a daughter that is biracial and is 10 yrs. old. Any input would be great..Thanks!
I'm not the original poster but I can tell you that Montclair, South Orange and Maplewood are the best towns for diverse families. We live in Maplewood and it is fabulous. Good luck with your home search.
Flag Wed Nov 20, 2013
Just get out of New Jersey and come here to NYC. Higher living standards, More Hospitals per cap. lower taxes per cap. Hands down a greater diverse market then any other place in the world!
This is the one question realtors are legally not allowed to answer, but please read my home buyer's advice at:

Best of Luck!
Hi, I am mom to a bi-racial child. Try Hoboken, Jersey City, South Orange. Montclair is awesome for mixed race famiilies who want the suburban lifestyle. We have researched this extensively. Sorry to hear that your child is going through this, what a sad situation. We found that even Greenwich was more tolerable and friendly than some NJ towns. Mount Kisco, Stamford and Pelham are great if you consider going North.
This is sad situation, Real estate agents however can't steer you to specific neighborhood as this would be against the law.

You will have to do some research, make sure to visit the area you are considering moving to., Talk to people in the coffee shop, supermarket etc to get a feel for the community.

Best wishes.
It's so unfortunate in 2012 that we still have ignorance which is what racism represents. Real Estate agents are not allowed to steer home buyers to specific locations. It you would like to research other areas, you could check out Essex and Union county towns. I cover towns in these two counties.

If I can be of further assistance to your search, kindly let me know.
It is against the law for any realtor to give out information about the racial make of of any community. In terms of diversity I think if you come visit some towns in Hudson County, you will find a city and neighborhood which will fill your needs.

I would be glad to help you with your search for a new home. Please contact me at 201-780-6594 if you'd like to start a home search.