What was it like to live in New York City in the 1980s?

Asked by NYCBrowser, Brooklyn, NY Wed Apr 17, 2013

Answers

4
John Roberts’ answer
John Roberts, Other Pro, Island Park, NY
Fri Apr 19, 2013
I lived in NYC by Park in the 20s and we had hookers on every corner and crack houses all over. You would never walk through madison park unless in broad daylight or risk getting stabbed.

However, it was great in the way there were after hour bars, drinking age was 18 and you could enjoy a few tall boys while watching St. Pattys day and rent was dirt cheap

I dont like the nanny state NYC is now in. I miss old new york
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Apr 19, 2013
Walking down Broadway from 81st to 72nd after 6pm and under every awning being asked by under-dressed women, "Goin' out tonight, honey?"

Walking through City Hall park and having people call from the benches, "Six for five! Hey, I got seven!" meaning, pre-rolled joints.

Around this time of year, the bars would be filled with baseball fans and hockey fans ("Beat your wife, Potvin, Beat your wife!"), Cats was the biggest thing on Broadway, and MOMA was a modest shell of its current self.

CBGBs, the Mudd Club, and Elaine's were over. People talked about the way Studio (54) was, mostly at Danceteria.
John W. Chang…, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Apr 19, 2013
New York was different in the 1980s than it is now.
Sharon D Nic…, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Apr 17, 2013
It was fun and exciting! It is still a lot of fun.