What side house faces is less sun-intrusive? I'm assuming facing south is the worst, right?

Asked by George, Las Vegas, NV Fri Apr 25, 2008

Answers

9
La Shelle Wa…, , Las Vegas, NV
Fri Apr 25, 2008
Facing South or North would be THE BEST. Since the Sun rises in the EAST and sets in the West, if your home was facing either of those directions you would be subject to the sun shining directly in some portion of your home in the morning and the afternoon.
Paul B. Perez, , Austin, TX
Fri Apr 25, 2008
Simple rule of thumb # 45: West is best.
Jeanie Moore,…, , Las Vegas, NV
Fri Apr 25, 2008
Keeping your eye on utility bills is always smart, however, a southern exposure is most important in Las Vegas because of our proximity. Another thing you want to remember is that every home has one wall with limited window space. That is the wall you want to face WEST. In the afternoon in the Summer (May through October) the west wall takes a beating. Unless, of course, you have a two story house right next door that will shield that sun. If you have any more questions, I have lived in Las Vegas since 1959 and been a Realtor since 1979. I'd be happy to speak to you personally. Jeanie at 702/768-6537.
Web Reference:  http://www.SoldByJeanie.com
Chris Shouse, Agent, California City, CA
Fri Apr 25, 2008
My preference is N/S you never get the sun directly into your home. If you face the other way one part of your home will be very hot at some point during the day. West here in Las Vegas from the Summerlin area has awesome mountain views including the Red Rocks. If you have it so your patio faces south you can then look to the west and see some spectacular sunsets and also sunrises in the morning.
Web Reference:  http://realsummerlin.com
Audrey, , Sioux Falls, SD
Sun Jun 4, 2017
In my opinion North and South is best. However what I've found is you definitely want the front of your house facing South if you live where it snows, it melts the snow/ice on your driveway quicker. North is good for the kitchen side since that's the room that can get really warm with the oven on.
Damon Bottic…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Apr 30, 2009
It all depends on the floorplan of the home. My home faces South and I really like it because we don't have many windows in the front. The big windows are in the back on the North side and since they hardly get any direct sunlight, we can leave the blinds open so the rooms feel bright, but all from indirect light.
Paul Francis, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sat Apr 26, 2008
It really depends on what side of the house has all of the windows.... If the front of the house has only one window with a garage in front and faces South or West, it's not going to be as bad as the house facing North or East with 20 windows in the back facing South or West...
Blythe Manci…, , Las Vegas, NV
Fri Apr 25, 2008
Good morning George.

I can tell you from experience that when it's hot, it's hot. My home faces East and my front room is wonderful in the morning...lot's of sun, bright and cheery. My dog looks out the window in the am. Now, in the evening, the back of my house (which obviously faces West) is blazing hot because I get that afternoon sun pouding on my home from Noon on.

That being said, in my personal opinion, a home that faces No/So is probably better! But, the direction of the home wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. A patio cover and sun screens on the window help.

I'm answering this as a homeowner and Nevada Power Cutomer.
Marilyn Orcu…, , Las Vegas, NV
Fri Apr 25, 2008
Facing south will give you more sun, however, solar shades are a great solution. They completely let the light in without the heat. The other option of course, is to purchase a new home. The energy efficiency is significantly higher. From increased insulation to E windows, to more efficient AC/heating units, your utility bills will show a drastic difference while keeping you temperatures evenly balanced. . I'd be happy to help you in your search for that perfect home, whether it is a new home or a resale home. Because of years of redoing homes, I can also help you decide improvements that will benefit you in saving energy.
Give me a call or send me an email. Marilyn Orcutt, Keller Williams Realty Las Vegas, 702-348-7146; iluv2sellre@kw.com.
Web Reference:  http://www.MarilynOrcutt.com