What's the best investment location? Dallas, Austin, Boise or Charlotte?

Asked by John Spottiswood, San Carlos, CA Fri May 11, 2007

Answers

7
Brandie, , San Francisco Bay Area
Fri Sep 21, 2007
John,
Austin is a fantastic investment market right now, with strong fundamentals for growth. It's one of the markets my company has researched for some time to determine it's potential.

You want to look for a number of factors that support job growth, which grows the population and drives appreciation and the need for rental property. But, you must have help in determining the best neighborhood as well. A market expert that knows the intricacies at the neighborhood level. You also want to understand commute patterns, proximity to large employers (Austin is home to many top employers) quality of neighborhood, proximity to activities and schools, etc.

I just closed on an investment in Bauerle Ranch, and it appraised higher than the purchase price, and will fetch strong rents.

Here are some facts:
“4th in the Nation ~ Hottest Job Growth” (Business 2.0)
“18th in Top 50 Hottest Cities” (Expansion Management Magazine)
“# 9 Best Place to Start & Grow a Company” (Entrepreneur Mag)
# 2 Best Places to Live
# 2 Market for Families to Relocate
13 Austin High Schools Ranked Among Nation’s Top
# 8 Top 25 City Arts Destinations
2nd Largest Music Capital in the U.S.

Red, ,
Thu May 24, 2007
I disagree with the "don't invest in Texas" mantra. I have seen a drastic rise in demand for homes in Dallas and Austin. As Californians slowly leave their homeland, interest in Texas will continue to increase.
California M…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Fri May 11, 2007
e-Marv, I agree that the statement, "Dont Invest In Texas" is pretty general. The point of my article is that the property taxes are patently unfair to the out of state investor. I'm sure you'll do well with your 4-plex investments in Austin but don't those taxes just irk you?
simplenickel, Both Buyer And Seller, San Francisco, CA
Fri May 11, 2007
If your in it for the long haul. I'd go with Austin (tech hub of activity). If your looking for shorter term, possibly a rehab, I would go with Boise. But either way be ready to stick it out for a few years at least.
Web Reference:  http://www.flippingpad.com
Marvin EMarv…, Agent,
Fri May 11, 2007
"Don't invest in Texas" is really too general of a statement. There are so many opportunities in so many cities everywhere (not just Texas). I have 4 duplexes and rehab property in Austin and can say that I am really looking to buy more there.

To sum it up: I completely disagree with the statement "Don't invest in Texas"

In fact, I don't that anyone can state: "Don't invest in [fill in the blank]" because no one is completely aware of another's situation.
Web Reference:  http://creiZ.com
California M…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Fri May 11, 2007
I said " Don't Invest In Texas" about 6 months ago. Click the link to find out why
Marvin EMarv…, Agent,
Fri May 11, 2007
It really depends. One of the first questions you need to ask yourself is "Why are you investing" and "What do you expect to get in return?"